We will no longer be supporting IE7 and below as a web browser effective June 1st 2020. Click here for more information.

Sign In
Skip Navigation LinksSimcoe County > Departments > Social Housing > Access to Housing

Access to Housing


Rent-Geared-to-Income Social Housing (RGI)

​​​The County of Simcoe maintains waitlists for rent-geared-to-income housing owned or delivery by the Simcoe County Housing Corporation, and non-profit or co-operative providers.

In order to be eligible for Social Housing, at least one member in your household must be 16 years or older. You must be a Canadian Citizen, Landed Immigrant or have Refugee Claimant Status. You must not owe arrears to any social housing provider or have misrepresented your household income. If you own a house, you must agree to sell it within six months of being housed. You may not have assets worth more than $50,000. All members of the household who are 16 years or older must sign the application and copies of birth certificates, proof of Canadian Citizenship or Landed Immigrant status for all members of the household must be provided.

Application for subsidized housing:

  • You can print a copy of the Application here
  • It can be picked up at the Social and Community Services office located at 1110 Highway 26, Midhurst, ON.​
  • You can request that it be mailed to you by calling
    705-725-7215, and pressing ‘3’.
See our RGI properties here​.

Affordable Housing

The County of Simcoe is the direct owner and manager of the Simcoe County Housing Corporation (SCHC) which provides affordable housing to seniors, ​families and individuals.

T​o​ learn more SCHC new affordable rental buildings
Click Here
To access tenant application forms
Click Here
To view a list of off-site affordable rental locations owned by private or non-profit housing providers
Click Here

Rent Supplement and Portable Housing Benefits

​A 'rent supplement/portable housing benefit' is a rent subsidy that bridges the difference between what a tenant can afford to pay and the full market rent.  Rent subsidies can vary in amount and duration.

Applicant Eligibility

  • applicant must be on (or eligible to be on) the Social Housing Waiting List
  • income cannot exceed 'Household Income Limits' as established by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing
  • a tenant cannot be related to owner/landlord/managing agent
  • other eligibility criteria may be in place for specialized rent supplement/housing allowance programs

Unit eligibility

  • rents cannot exceed CMHC average market rent (fully serviced)
  • self-contained
  • satisfactory state of repair (unit verification is required)
  • must meet occupancy standards
  • not eligible; hostels, group home/congregate living arrangements, nursing & retirement homes

How to Apply


Housing Resource Centres are located in Alliston, Barrie, Collingwood, Midland and Orillia. These centres are charitable, non-profit organizations that provide services to those in the community who are homeless or at risk of being homeless.  

Housing Resources Centres assist applicants in applying for housing rent supplements, IF funding is available​​.  

County staff will determine the eligibility of households referred by the Housing Resource Centres and administer the subsidies.

Housing Resource Centres

Barrie Housing Support Services
Simcoe Community Services
39 Fraser Court, Barrie
Barrie, ON L4N 5J5
To book an appointment, please call:
(705) 739-0485
Orillia Housing Resource Centre
Simcoe Community Services
35 West Street
Orillia, Ontario L3V 5G2
To book an appointment, please call:
(705) 739-0485
CONTACT Community Service Centre South Simcoe Town Square
39 Victoria Street East,
PO Box 932
Alliston, ON L9R 1W1
To book an appointment, please call:
(705) 435-4900 x206
South Georgian Bay Housing Resource Centre
Simcoe Community Services
485 Second Street, Unit B, Collingwood, ​ON  L9Y 3J7
To book an appointment, please call:
(705) 739-0485
Midland Housing Resource Centre
The Guesthouse Shelter & Community Hub
Simcoe Community Services
522 Elizabeth Street,
Midland, ON L4R 2A1
To book an appointment, please call:
(705) 739-0485

Barrier Free Units

​​​The County of Simcoe offers modified or Barrier-Free (BF) units, which are identified on housing applications.

All new County-owned affordable housing builds include barrier free units. To learn more about Simcoe County Housing Corporation new affordable rental builds, click here​.

If you or someone you are assisting requires a modified or barrier-free unit, please contact Simcoe County Housing Corporation at 705-725-7215, then press 3.​

Private/Non-Profit Affordable Rental

Click Here to view a list of Private/Non-Profit affordable rental locations.

Other Housing Programs​

To l earn more about the variety of programs the County is using to support the creation  of affordable housing options  for all residents, visit our Affordable Housing Programs page, click here​. ​