Rent-Geared-to-Income Social Housing (RGI)
The County of Simcoe maintains waitlists for rent-geared-to-income housing owned or delivery by the Simcoe County Housing Corporation, and non-profit or co-operative providers.
In order to be eligible for Social Housing, at least one member in your household must be 16 years or older. You must be a Canadian Citizen, Landed Immigrant or have Refugee Claimant Status. You must not owe arrears to any social housing provider or have misrepresented your household income. If you own a house, you must agree to sell it within six months of being housed. You may not have assets worth more than $50,000. All members of the household who are 16 years or older must sign the application and copies of birth certificates, proof of Canadian Citizenship or Landed Immigrant status for all members of the household must be provided.
Application for subsidized housing:
See our RGI properties here
The County of Simcoe is the direct owner and manager of the Simcoe County Housing Corporation (SCHC) which provides affordable housing to seniors, families and individuals.
|To learn more SCHC new affordable rental buildings||Click Here|
|To access tenant application forms||Click Here|
|To view a list of off-site affordable rental locations owned by private or non-profit housing providers||Click Here|
The County's Rent Supplement Program is a rent subsidy paid directly to the landlord on behalf of the tenant. Rent subsidies vary in amount depending on tenant income source, and are currently 5-years in duration.
- must be on (or eligible to be on) the Social Housing Waiting List
- income cannot exceed 'Household Income Limits' as established by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing
- cannot be related to the owner/landlord/managing agent
- other eligibility criteria may apply
- self-contained with its own kitchen and bathing facilities;
- is approved for its intended use as a residential rental unit;
- complies with applicable fire and building code;
- rental amount is within program guidelines for the area and size of unit;
- the Landlord is willing to enter into a funding agreement with the County of Simcoe, and administer the tendency in accordance with the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006.
- not eligible: rooms for rent, hostels, group home/congregate living arrangements, long term care and retirement homes
How to Apply
Rent Supplement Program applications are completed and submitted through our community partners:
(Barrie, Orillia, Collingwood and Midland)
(Alliston, Bradford and South Simcoe area)
Please note funding is limited and that this program is not always open to new applications.
Barrier Free Units
The County of Simcoe offers modified or Barrier-Free (BF) units, which are identified on housing applications.
All new County-owned affordable housing builds include barrier free units. To learn more about Simcoe County Housing Corporation new affordable rental builds, click here.
If you or someone you are assisting requires a modified or barrier-free unit, please contact Simcoe County Housing Corporation at 705-725-7215, then press 3.
Private/Non-Profit Affordable Rental
Click Here to view a list of Private/Non-Profit affordable rental locations.
Other Housing Programs
earn more about the variety of programs the County is using to support the creation
of affordable housing options
for all residents, visit our Affordable Housing Programs page,