The County of Simcoe Paramedic Services Honour Guard (CSPSHG) consists
of active and retired paramedics within our service who volunteer their time
and efforts to Honour Guard activities.
The Honour Guard represents the County of Simcoe Paramedic Services at
various events and hosts fund raising activities, including the Annual Honour
It is the mission of the County of Simcoe Paramedic Services Honour Guard to create a strong, positive public awareness of paramedicine, instill pride, professionalism and honour to the Paramedics of Simcoe County, and increase the professionalism of the service.
To demonstrate respect for fallen comrades of the Paramedic, Police, Fire and Military communities, through ceremonial and Parade functions, within the province of Ontario, across Canada and internationally.
It is the vision of the CSPSHG to elevate the status of the County of Simcoe Paramedic Services and the Paramedic community at large by the provision of a strong public image in ceremonial events. This is accomplished by presenting a professional, recognizable uniform presence accompanied by proficient, unified drill performances with an approachable demeanor following the event.
Action Words and Motto
The Action words of the HG are “Duc, Honora, Conserva, Extolle," (Lead, Honour, Preserve, Promote,)
Our Motto is “Honorabiliter Duc, Conservator, Et Omnia Extolle" which translates to: "Lead honourably, you who preserves, and promote all things."
History of the County of Simcoe Paramedic Services
The CSPS HG was formed and consists of both active and retired paramedics on a volunteer basis. The team is dedicated and committed to representing not only the Paramedic Services but also the County of Simoce.
August 9 was the Inaugural Peacekeepers' Day, Angus, Ontario. CSPSHG was given the honours of leading the parade and marching in the colours (flags). They also presented United Nations flags to two local families of fallen soldiers.
*CSPS HG continue to support and attend Peacekeepers' Day on August 9th of each year.
Funding was established by the County of Simcoe with an initial contribution of $5000 and $2,500 annually commencing in 2006.
CSPSHG Member B. Valentine was one of the founding members of what is now known as Alliance of Canadian Paramedic Honour Guards.
*CSPSHG Member F. Spiegelberg currently sits on the board of directors for the Alliance of Canadian Paramedic Honour Guards.
The CSPSHG was presented with the John Graves Simcoe medal of excellence from MP Alex Nuttall, in celebration of Canada's 150th birthday, to recognize those who have gone above and beyond to serve our community and/or country.
Please be advised that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Annual Paramedic Ball has been cancelled for 2020. We apologize for this inconvenience and look forward to 2021.
Formal Events and Representation
CSPSHG has attended many services throughout Canada and the USA, honouring Paramedics, Police, Fire and Military including;
- LODD Services
- Funeral/memorial services for CSPS staff who we have lost, or their families
- Pearl Harbour Day, December 2005 in Buffalo, NY. Church service and wreath laying at Buffalo Naval Par
- The Government of Canada Declared 2005 “The Year of the Veteran". CSPS HG attended Parade and Service held at the Royal Canadian Legion Barrie Branch 147
- Remembrance Day events throughout the County, alternating locations on an annual basis
- Canadian police and Peace Officers Annual Memorial Service
- Canada's 150 Anniversary national Remembrance Day ceremony in Ottawa
- 911 Memorial in New York city and Pennsylvania
- Emergency Services Recognition Parade
- Paramedic Services Week – opening ceremony at the County of Simcoe Council Chambers
- M.A.D.D. Red Ribbon Campaign
- Paramedic station grand openings
- ACP Implementation Ceremony
- County of Simcoe Paramedic Services Commencement and Honours Ceremony
- Ontario's Awards for paramedic bravery
- Annual Ontario Association of Paramedic Chiefs (OAPC) Gala
- Annual Alliance of Canadian EMS Honour Guard round table Gala (hosted in April 2013)
- Presentation of the Premiers Valour Award at Queens Park
- Fundraiser drives along with other paramedic services across Canada for the “Medics Care" campaign to save a valuable piece of our history to remain in Canada
- Annual Paramedic Memorial Ride - Opening and closing ceremony and CSPS team support
- General meeting (AGM) which occurs annually followed by a formal mess dinner. Dignitaries are invited for a night of comradery and socializing.
- Motorcycle Poker Run
- Poppy Center Pin
- Annual Paramedic Ball and Dance
- Brian Hekman Memorial Raffle
- Simcoe County staff payroll deduction (started in 2015)
Funds raised support Honour Guard participation in events, and to help cover expenses. CSPSHG makes donations to organizations such as the Canadian Paramedic Memorial Foundation, Local Royal Canadian Legions within the County of Simcoe, and Peacekeepers Park in Angus, to name a few.