Sign In
Skip Navigation LinksSimcoe County > Departments > Archives > Archives Blog

Archives Blog

Welcome to the Simcoe County Archives blog.

We'll be posting records from our collections that celebrate anniversaries and events as well as items that catch our interest. We hope they catch yours, too!

Blog posts appear in the list below. Happy reading!



Collections Highlights 3:37:37 PMCollections Highlights<p>​Welcome to our Collections Highlights page. Here we will list recently processed archival records that are now available for use in our Reading Room. It is not a comprehensive list, but includes highlights selected by our processing archivists.</p><p>Search our <a href="/_layouts/15/FIXUPREDIRECT.ASPX?WebId=a41fbfa1-82ca-4939-9932-d97b8d6ad3e9&TermSetId=fb933945-005d-43ad-bb62-b84ef1fa9284&TermId=49f386df-e50a-40cd-ae38-cb6749416df6">Collections Database</a> for more detailed descriptions of the materials listed below.</p><h2><span>November 2019</span></h2><p style="text-decoration:underline;">Private Records</p><ul><li>Oro-Medonte Horticultural Society collection records</li><li>Fall 2019 (No. VII) edition of the zine Penetang Review</li></ul><h2>October 2019</h2><p style="text-decoration:underline;">Private Records</p><ul><li>Royal of Templars of Temperance Charter (Barrie No. 139 Select Council), 1902</li></ul><h2>September 2019 </h2><p style="text-decoration:underline;">Corporate and Municipal Records</p><ul><li>Severn Township municipal records</li></ul><p style="text-decoration:underline;">Private Records</p><ul><li>S. K. Lount collection </li><li>East Simcoe District Women's Institute records</li><li>Lake St. George Women's Institute records</li><li>Westmount Women's Institute </li><li>Victoria Crescent Women's Institute</li><li>Roger Miller Postcard collection </li></ul><p> </p>
#ItStarts 2019 5:19:28 PM#ItStarts 2019<p>This month staff at Simcoe County Archives are participating in the 2019 #ItStarts campaign. #ItStarts is a joint initiative between the <a title="County of Simcoe website" href="/">County of Simcoe </a>and the <a title="Simcoe County Local Immigration Partnership website" href="">Local Immigration Partnership (LIP)</a> that aims to raise public awareness and to "promote a unified community that embraces acceptance, inclusion, equity and diversity" (LIP). </p><p>On Monday March 18, 2019 Archives staff hosted a multicultural potluck to celebrate #ItStarts. The meal included family recipes, staff favourites, and a few first-time attempts at new dishes. The potluck gave us a great opportunity to come together, enjoy a meal, and learn something new about cultures, cuisines, and each other.</p><p style="text-align:center;"><img alt="Archives staff celebrate It Starts with a shared meal" src="/Archives/PublishingImages/2019-ItSarts_Archives.jpg" style="margin:5px;width:527px;" /><br><span class="ms-rteStyle-Quote">Archives staff celebrating #ItStarts 2019 with a shared meal</span></p><p>The focus of this year's #ItStarts campaign is <em>action</em>, and Archives staff were asked to select a word that best represents how or where that action should start. For us, #ItStarts with "Community".</p><p> At Simcoe County Archives, we seek to collect and make accessible the documentary heritage of the County. The records we hold are evidence of many of the communities that make up the county and we are committed to preserving these diverse histories for future generations. Some histories are longer than others and that is OK; communities change and grow, and as a public repository it is important that the Archives are representative of all those who call Simcoe County home. At the Archives, #ItStarts with the communities we serve. </p><p>In order to better meet the needs of our communities, Archives staff are seeking opportunities to expand the coverage of our collections in order to better represent the diversity present in Simcoe County. We are interested in records from individuals, clubs, societies, business and any other active or formerly active organizations in the County. If you are interested in donating records to Simcoe County Archives, please visit our <a href="/_layouts/15/FIXUPREDIRECT.ASPX?WebId=a41fbfa1-82ca-4939-9932-d97b8d6ad3e9&TermSetId=fb933945-005d-43ad-bb62-b84ef1fa9284&TermId=1312299f-95b2-4723-a41b-ac7d6fb66601">Donation page </a>for more details, or contact us at <a href=""></a>  to arrange a meeting.</p><p>To learn more about the #ItStarts campaign and to get involved, please visit <a title="Simcoe County Local Immigration Partnership website" href=""><font color="#0066cc">Immigration Simcoe</font></a>, and follow #ItStarts on social media. <br> </p>
Reforestation in Simcoe County 4:44:52 PMReforestation in Simcoe County <h4>​​​​​The Beginning of Reforestation in Simcoe County <br></h4><p>As the holiday season has begun and people are starting to put up their Christmas trees, staff at the Simcoe County Archives are reminded of the history of reforestation that allowed us to have these beautiful trees so close to home. It was a difficult start for reforestation as many councillors of Simcoe County were not convinced that it was an important issue to tackle in the early 1900s. However, W.J. Holden, Reeve of Collingwood, believed reforestation was a problem that shouldn't be ignored. <br><br><a href="/Archives/PublishingImages/First%20load%20of%20Christmas%20Trees_1080p.jpg" title="First Load of Christmas Trees, Shipped by rail from Barr Tract in Craighurst in 1944 "><img src="/Archives/PublishingImages/First%20load%20of%20Christmas%20Trees_480p.jpg" alt="First Load of Christmas Trees, Shipped by rail from Barr Tract in Craighurst in 1944 " style="margin:5px;" /></a></p><p style="text-align:center;"><span style="text-align:center;font-size:1em;font-style:italic;">​980-24     Firs</span><span style="text-align:center;font-size:1em;font-style:italic;">t Load of Ch</span><span style="text-align:center;font-size:1em;font-style:italic;">ristmas Trees, Shipped by rail from Barr Tract, Craighurst, 1944    Copyright: Public Domain​</span><br></p><h4>The First Proposal</h4><p>One of the first to propose reforestation was Reeve W.J. Holden (Council Minutes 1919, Jan. p.32). In the January session of Council in 1919, Holden urged the Warden to create a committee of Reforestation (Council Minutes 1919, Jan. p.13); on day 3 the committee was created with Holden taking the lead (Council Minutes 1919, Jan. p.19). On the afternoon of January 31, 1919, Holden gave a speech on the advantages of reforestation (Council Minutes 1919, Jan. p.32), stating that reforestation would provide substantial money for Simcoe County as well as providing returning soldiers with jobs (Reforestation Before Co. Council).</p><p>After his compelling speech, the Reforestation Committee read a report with the following ideas: </p><ol><li>The committee, with the Warden, would purchase 200 acres of land for reforestation<br></li><li>Council would make a $5,000 grant to the Reforestation Committee to carry out the plan<br></li><li>The Provincial Government would be encouraged to make a special grant for reforestation in Simcoe County<br></li><li>A <span style="font-size:1em;">special grant would be created and issued to rural schools that will reforest land (Reforestation Before Co. Council)</span><br></li></ol><p> <span style="font-size:1em;">However, despite Holden's best efforts, Council decided that the building of roads should take precedence over reforestation. Reforestation would be reconsidered at the June session (Council Minutes 1919, March 17 p.40). Many members of the community were outraged by this decision. One person took to the comment section of the </span><em style="font-size:1em;">Barrie Examiner</em><span style="font-size:1em;">, “Some members of the County Council seemed to regard the report of the reforestry committee as a joke. In assuming such an attitude, these members do themselves no credit. Because they know nothing of a subject is no reason why they should make light of it" </span><span style="font-size:1em;">(Comments of the Week, February 6).</span></p><h4>The Second Attempt</h4><p></p><div>When the Council reconvened in June, its attitude had changed slightly. The Finance Committee in one of its reports included a clause that recommended that the Council approve a policy of reforestation and that a committee be appointed to ascertain the cost of purchasing 200 acres for reforestation and the cost of buying and planting trees. The clause was approved after a vote of 25-8 (Buy Shelter For Children’s Aid, p.2). </div><h4 style="text-align:center;"><br><a href="/Archives/PublishingImages/W.J.%20Holden%201080p.jpg" title="W.J. Holden"><img src="/Archives/PublishingImages/W.J.%20Holden%20480p.jpg" class="ms-rtePosition-4" alt="W.J. Holden" style="margin:5px;" /></a><br></h4><h4>​<br></h4><p style="text-align:center;"><span class="ms-rteStyle-Quote">W.J. Holden, Jan 1, 1920, Collingwood Bulletin p.1, Simcoe County Archives      <br></span><span style="font-style:italic;font-size:1em;">C</span><span style="font-style:italic;font-size:1em;">opyright: Public Domain​</span></p><h4>The Third Attempt<br></h4><p>When Council reconvened in November, 1919, the issue of reforestation was once again brought up by Councillor Holden. In a 10-page report including the research completed by the Reforestation Committee from last session, Holden requested that a small expenditure of $5600 over 5 years be put towards reforestation (Comment of the Week, Dec.4). Like previous council sessions, many council members treated this matter as a joke (Holden’s Report is Voted Down) and voted it down 30-7 (Council Minutes 1919, Nov. p.8).The importance of reforestation was not yet seen by council members. This again upset the community, one person took to the paper to write, “The County Council’s treatment of the report on reforestation was not what might be expected of a responsible body of men when dealing with a subject of such importance” (Comment of the Week, Dec. 4). <br></p><p style="text-align:center;"><span class="ms-rteStyle-Quote"><a href="/Archives/PublishingImages/Comment%20of%20the%20Week,%20Dec-4_1080p.jpg" title="Comment of the Week December 4, 1919"><img src="/Archives/PublishingImages/Comment%20of%20the%20Week%20Dec-4_480p.jpg" alt="Comment of the Week December 4, 1919" style="margin:5px;" /></a>​<br></span></p><p style="text-align:center;"><span class="ms-rteStyle-Quote">Comment of the Week, Dec. 4, 1919, The Barrie Examiner p.4, Simcoe County Archives Copyright:  Public Domain</span><br></p><h4>Final Steps to Reforestation in Simcoe County<br><br></h4><p>In January of 1920, W.J. Holden went on to be the Mayor of Collingwood. During his time as Reeve, Holden made a large impact on reforestation in Simcoe County (Many Changes in Co. Council – Several Prominent Members Fail to Secure Re-election for 1920). In December of 1919, it was said that “Some of the councillors who opposed reforestation when it was first introduced are now enthusiastic supporters” (Holden’s Report is Voted Down). 1920 was a turning point for reforestation. By June of 1920, progressive policy on reforestation was being developed and the County began to look into obtaining land (Council Minutes 1920, June p.50). Between 1920 and 1922, Simcoe County purchased approximately 1000 acres in Vespra Township (now Springwater) dedicated to reforestation (Council Minutes, June 1922 p.57). This land came to be known as the Hendrie Forest, which is located just northwest of Barrie (Fifty Years of Reforestation in Ontario Part 2, p.11). The Hendrie Tract derives its name from the previous name of Anten Mills: Hendrie. Hendrie was the surname of a contractor who built a section of the railway that passes through the village (The Origin of the Name of the Post Offices of Simcoe County, p.6)​.<br></p><div>​<br></div><div><a href="/Archives/PublishingImages/981-35%20Reforestation%20Anten%20Mills%201917%201080p.jpg" title="First Planting at Hendrie Forest May 8, 1922"><img src="/Archives/PublishingImages/981-35%20Reforestation%20Anten%20Mills%201917%20480p.jpg" alt="First Planting at Hendrie Forest May 8, 1922" style="margin:5px;" /></a><br></div><div style="text-align:center;"><span class="ms-rteStyle-Quote">981-35     First Planting at Hendrie Forest May 8, 1922, Fred Grant Collection      Copyright: Public Domain<br></span></div><div style="text-align:center;"><br class="ms-rteStyle-Quote"></div><div style="text-align:center;"><a href="/Archives/PublishingImages/2008-133%20Recently%20cleared%20farmland%201080p.jpg" title="Recently Cleared Farmland around 1925"><img src="/Archives/PublishingImages/2008-133%20Recently%20cleared%20farmland%20480p.jpg" alt="Recently Cleared Farmland around 1925" style="margin:5px;" /></a><br></div><div style="text-align:center;"><span class="ms-rteStyle-Quote">2008-133     Early Simcoe County Forestry - Recently Cleared Farmland, ca. 1925     Copyright: Public Domain<br></span></div><div style="text-align:center;"><br class="ms-rteStyle-Quote"></div><div style="text-align:center;"><a href="/Archives/PublishingImages/2008-133%20Field%20of%20young%20pine%20trees%20E11%20B8%20R0A%20S11%20Sh2%201080p.jpg" title="Field of Young Pine Trees around 1930"><img src="/Archives/PublishingImages/2008-133%20Field%20of%20young%20pine%20trees%20E11%20B8%20R0A%20S11%20Sh2%20480p.jpg" alt="Field of Young Pine Trees around 1930" style="margin:5px;" /></a>​<span style="font-style:italic;font-size:1em;">2008-133     Field of Young Pine Trees, ca. 1930     Copyright: Public Domain</span></div><div><br></div><div><p>The Hendrie Forest and other forest tracts can be viewed on the Simcoe County <a href="">Geographical Information Systems (GIS) map​</a>.<br></p><p style="text-align:center;"><a href="/Archives/PublishingImages/GIS%20Hendrie%20Main%201080p.jpg" title="View of Hendrie Forest from our Geographical Information System "><img src="/Archives/PublishingImages/GIS%20Hendrie%20Main%20480p.jpg" alt="View of Hendrie Forest from our Geographical Information System " style="margin:5px;" /></a><span style="font-style:italic;font-size:1em;">View of Hendrie Forest from our Geographical Information System </span><span style="font-style:italic;font-size:1em;">(GIS) map at <br></span><span style="font-size:1em;font-style:italic;">Simcoe County, November 14, 2018     <br></span><span style="font-size:1em;font-style:italic;">Copyright: Public Domain​</span></p>​<span style="font-size:1em;">Today, Simcoe County Forest is the largest municipally-owned forest in Southern Ontario (County of Simcoe Forestry, Forest History). Between 1927 and 1948, Simcoe County purchased tracts of Orr Lake, Waverly, Tosorontio, Drury, Barr and Wildman for further reforestation. The forests continue to provide environmental, social and economic benefits to the County residents (County of Simcoe Forestry, Forest History).</span><p>To learn more about reforestation and its history in the Simcoe County, visit the Simcoe County Archives Monday to Friday between 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM. </p><p><span class="ms-rteStyle-Quote"><br></span></p><p><span class="ms-rteStyle-Quote">Post by Student Archives Assistant Patricia Nagle</span><br></p><p>___________________________________________________________________________</p><p><strong><em>Works consulted</em></strong><br></p><ul><li>Buy Shelter For Children's Aid – H.E. Jory's Residence Taken at $5750 – County War Memorial – Reforestation, The Barrie Examiner, June 26, 1919 p.1,2,& 4, Simcoe County Archives </li><li>Comment of the Week, The Barrie Examiner, February 6, 1919 p.2, Simcoe County Archives  </li><li>Comment of the Week, The Barrie Examiner, December 4, 1919 p.4, Simcoe County            Archives </li><li>County of Simcoe Forestry – About the Simcoe County Forest</li><li>Simcoe County Council Minutes, 1919, Simcoe County Archives</li><li>Simcoe County Council Minutes, 1920, Simcoe County Archives</li><li>Simcoe County Council Minutes, 1921, Simcoe County Archives</li><li>Simcoe County Council Minutes, 1922, Simcoe County Archives</li><li>Early Simcoe County Forestry – Recently Cleared Farmland between 1900-1920, 2008-133,       Simcoe County Archives </li><li>Fifty Years of Reforestation in Ontario by E.J. Zavitz, Simcoe County Archives</li><li>Holden's Report is Voted Down – County Council Declares Against Reforestation - $2,500 for Navy League, The Barrie Examiner, December 4, 1919 p.4, Simcoe County Archives</li><li>Many Changes in Co. Council – Several Prominent Members Fail to Secure Re-election for 1920, The Barrie Examiner Jan 8, 1920 p.1, Simcoe County Archives</li><li>Photo of Field of Young Pine Trees, 2008-133, Simcoe County Archives </li><li>Photo of First Load of Christmas Trees, Shipped By Rail From Barr Tract, Craighurst 1944, 980-24, Simcoe County Archives</li><li>Photo of First Planting at Hendrie Forest, May 8, 1922, Simcoe County Archives</li><li>Photo of Hendrie Main on the GIS, Nov.14,2018, Simcoe County Archives</li><li>Photo of W.J. Holden, Collingwood Bulletin, Jan 1 1920 p.1, Simcoe County Archives </li><li>Reforestation Before Co. Council – Important Recommendations of Counc. Holden's Committee Laid Over, The Barrie Examiner, Feb 6, 1919 p.1, Simcoe County Archives​<br></li><li><em>The Origin of the Name of the Post Offices of Simcoe County</em> by David Williams​<br></li></ul></div><p>​​<br>​​<br></p>
The Simcoe County Remembers Database 1:42:21 PMThe Simcoe County Remembers Database<p>​The seed of what was to become the <a title="Simcoe County Remembers database" href="/Archives/Pages/Simcoe_County_Remembers.aspx"><em>Simcoe County Remembers​</em> </a>database was planted in 2007, during a meeting of the Board of Directors of the Simcoe County Historical Association.  Simcoe County's Assistant Archivist, Ellen Millar, was asked if there were a Simcoe County First World War Memorial.  She replied that she did not know of one, but would do some investigating.  The follow-up research revealed three things:  </p><ol><li>A Memorial was created for all residents of Simcoe County who had died during the <a title="Memorializing Simcoe County's Heroes" href="/Archives/Pages/Memorializing-Simcoe-County-Heroes.aspx"><font color="#0066cc">Second World War</font></a> </li><li>While First World War Memorials for local residents had been erected in communities across Simcoe County, no single memorial was ever dedicated to all county residents</li><li>The Simcoe County Archives' holdings contain a considerable amount of information about those who had died in the <a title="Remembering Vimy" href="/Archives/Pages/Remembering-Vimy.aspx">1914-1918 War </a></li></ol><p style="text-align:center;"><img src="/Archives/PublishingImages/976-26_480_Memorial%20and%20Arena%20Gardens%20Postcard.jpg" alt="" style="margin:5px;width:415px;" /> </p><p style="text-align:center;"><em>976-26     Memorial and Arena Gardens, Midland, ca. 1930     Copyright: Public Domain</em></p><p>Using the Archives' records, Ellen began to make a list of Simcoe County's War Dead, slowly gathering a few details from one source, and some more from another, as she carried out her regular duties at the Archives.  Other members of the Archives' staff brought to her attention relevant records which they had also discovered during their work with the collections.  </p><p style="text-align:center;"><a href="/Archives/PublishingImages/997-133%20Willard%20Touchette%20E4%20B3%20R6B%20S7%20Sh1%201080p.jpg"><img src="/Archives/PublishingImages/997-133%20Willard%20Touchette%20E4%20B3%20R6B%20S7%20Sh1%20480p.jpg" alt="" style="margin:5px;width:217px;" /></a><br><em>997-133     Willard Touchette, ca. 1916     Copyright: Public Domain</em></p><p>Colleagues from several of the County's museums, historical and genealogical societies, friends, and family members also assisted, perhaps unknowingly, with the project.  The County of Simcoe's IT Department also contributed to making the <em>Simcoe County Remembers</em> database a reality.  Thank you to everyone who provided information, support, or expertise.</p><p style="text-align:center;"><img src="/Archives/PublishingImages/2009-36_Believe_to_be_Stanley_Penton%20E34%20480p.jpg" alt="" style="margin:5px;width:330px;" /><br><em>2009-36     Young solider, believed to be Stanley Penton, ca. 1916   Copyright: Public Domain</em></p><p>While a Simcoe County First World War Roll of Honour has been a long time coming, the <em>Simcoe County Remembers</em> database should not be considered a final and complete memorial to the fallen.  The Simcoe County Archives knows that there are names missing which should have been included.  There are also strong suppositions that a few entries, such as the one for “J. Smith," will prove to be duplicates.  But it seemed appropriate that the names of the war dead of Simcoe County, now numbering 1,006, be moved off a static list and made available to the general public in time for the 100<sup>th</sup> Anniversary of the Armistice.</p><p>And so the Simcoe County Archives has launched <em>Simcoe County Remembers</em>.  It is a resource which we consider to be a starting point to help you remember the men and women of Simcoe County who died during or immediately following the First World War.  We hope that you find the information it contains both meaningful and useful.</p><p>Do you have information about someone who is either included in or missing from the <em>Simcoe County Remembers</em> database?  The Simcoe County Archives would like to hear from you!  Information about how to donate records to the Simcoe County Archives is available <a title="Simcoe County Archives Donor Portal" href="/Archives/Pages/Donor_Portal.aspx">here</a>, or please contact us at 705-726-9331 or <a title="Email Simcoe County Archives" href="" target="_blank"></a><u> </u></p>
Simcoe County and the Battle of Amiens 3:14:08 PMSimcoe County and the Battle of Amiens<p>The success of the Canadian Expeditionary Force at Vimy Ridge on April 9-12, 1917 has been well documented, celebrated, and <a title="Remembering Vimy blog post" href="/Archives/Pages/Remembering-Vimy.aspx">commemorated</a> in Canada.  Details pertaining to the decisive gains made during the Battle of Amiens, which took place August 8-11, 1918, have not been as thoroughly communicated.  For many residents and those with ties to Simcoe County, however, the Battle of Amiens was of greater personal significance.  From data that has been collected at Simcoe County Archives, it is estimated that 34 men with ties to the County lost their lives on August 8, 1918, compared to 28 who died on the first day of the Battle of Vimy Ridge.<sup>1</sup> In total, at least <a title="Simcoe County Honour Roll for the Battle of Amiens" href="/Archives/Documents/Honour_Roll_8-11_August_1918-REV.pdf">60 of our men</a> died during the four days of the Battle of Amiens.</p><p style="text-align:center;"><span class="ms-rteStyle-Quote"><span style="line-height:107%;font-family:"arial",sans-serif;font-size:11pt;"><a title="Department de la Somme, ca 1918; Town of Amiens in centre of map " href="/Archives/PublishingImages/979-38_Department-De-La-Somme-1080W_G-3%20F-1.jpg"><img alt="Map with Town of Amiens at centre, ca 1918" src="/Archives/PublishingImages/979-38_Department-De-La-Somme-1080W_G-3%20F-1.jpg" style="margin:5px;width:519px;" /></a></span></span> </p><p style="text-align:center;"><span class="ms-rteStyle-Quote"><span style="line-height:107%;font-family:"arial",sans-serif;font-size:11pt;">979-38</span>     ​<span style="line-height:107%;font-family:"arial",sans-serif;font-size:11pt;">Department de la Somme, ca 1918; Town of Amiens in centre of map     <br>Copyright: Public Domain</span></span></p><h2>So what was the Battle of Amiens?</h2><p>During the late spring and early summer of 1918 Allied commanders had meticulously planned a major offensive to be launched at Amiens in early August.  While the participants were thoroughly trained for the attack, until the last minute they were not made aware of exactly when or where a battle would take place.  This was deliberately done to keep the Germans from suspecting that, east of Amiens, weaknesses had been discovered in their defences.  The Canadian Corps was seeking revenge for the sinking of the <em>Llandovery Castle</em> that June<sup>2</sup> and they found it when the attack was launched at Amiens on August 8, 1918.  </p><p>On that opening day of battle the Allies, consisting of Australian, British, Canadian, and French forces advanced an astonishing 13 kilometres, barging through lines that had held relatively stagnant for nearly 4 years.  The offensive, supported by tanks, cavalry, armoured cars, and the Royal Air Force, took the depleted German Army by surprise.  General Erich Ludendorff later described August 8, 1918 as “the black day of the German Army," and marked the beginning of the last 100 days of the First World War.  Fewer gains were made during the rest of the battle and major offensive operations were halted on August 11, 1918.  But the Battle of Amiens was the first significant breakthrough in what had been a long and costly war of attrition.</p><h2>In memoriam</h2><p>One of the soldiers who died at the Battle of Amiens, was William Kennedy, a son of John and Margaret Kennedy.  He was born in Penetanguishene in February 1896, and enlisted with the 157<sup>th</sup> Overseas Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force.  On October 17, 1916, Kennedy embarked from Halifax to England aboard S.S. <em>Cameronia</em>.  After arriving in England he was transferred to the 116<sup>th</sup> Battalion, C.E.F.  Kennedy died on August 8, 1918 and was buried in the Hourges Orchard Cemetery, Donart-sur-La-Loce, France.  His name is engraved on the Tay side of the Waverley War Memorial.</p><p style="text-align:center;"><span class="ms-rteStyle-Quote"><span style="line-height:107%;font-family:"arial",sans-serif;font-size:11pt;"><a title="Waverley Soldiers' Memorial shown from the East" href="/Archives/PublishingImages/Waverley_Memorial-East-full-1080.jpg"><img alt="Waverley Soldiers' Memorial shown from the East" src="/Archives/PublishingImages/Waverley_Memorial-East-full-1080.jpg" style="margin:5px;width:363px;" /></a></span></span> </p><p style="text-align:center;"><span class="ms-rteStyle-Quote"><span style="line-height:107%;font-family:"arial",sans-serif;font-size:11pt;">SCA Photograph Collection     Waverley Soldiers' Memorial shown from the East, 2018     <br>Copyright: Simcoe County Archives</span></span></p><h3>Notes</h3><p><sup>1</sup>Compiling a complete list of Simcoe County's war dead is exceedingly difficult because the official Attestation Papers more frequently asked for place of birth than place of residence.  Furthermore, the two Overseas Battalions which were raised in Simcoe County, the 157<sup>th</sup> and 177<sup>th</sup>, were broken up in England in order to provide reinforcements for units already in action.  No County of Simcoe Honour Roll was created immediately following the First World War, and each of the smaller communities throughout the county used their own criteria for determining honour rolls and/or memorials.</p><p><sup>2</sup>The <em>HMHS Llandovery Castle</em> was a Canadian Hospital Ship that had brought Canadian casualties back to Halifax, Nova Scotia, in early June 1918, and was making the return journey back to England.  On June 27, as the <em>Llandovery Castle</em> – clearly marked as a hospital ship – approached the coast of Ireland, it was deliberately torpedoed by a German submarine.  When news of the sinking was circulated Simcoe County mourned three of its own:  Nursing Sister Mae Bell Sampson, Private George Edward Nash, and Private Victor Sanders.  Sampson, a graduate nurse with the Canadian Army Medical Corps, was born in Nottawasaga Township, while both Nash, a resident of Midland, and Sanders, of Penetanguishene, had enlisted with the 157<sup>th</sup> Battalion C.E.F. in early 1916.</p>
Early Railways in Simcoe County 5:42:46 PMEarly Railways in Simcoe County<p>The arrival of the railways in Simcoe County connected the County to the rest of Canada, socially, economically and politically. It allowed for townspeople to trade information and goods at speeds never seen before.</p><p style="text-align:center;"><a title="Norbert Moran's Scrapbook, 1944 " href="/Archives/PublishingImages/1080w%20Scrap%20book,%20page%201%201201-%20LAST%20ENGINE%20BUIET%20BY%20CPR%20JUNE%201944%20E6%20B6%20R4B%20S9%20SH2.jpg"><img alt="Norbert Moran's Scrapbook, 1944 " src="/Archives/PublishingImages/480w%20%20981-99%20%20%20%20%20Scrap%20book,%20page%201,%201201-%20LAST%20ENGINE%20BUIET%20BY%20CPR%20JUNE%201944%20E6%20B6%20R4B%20S9%20SH2.jpg" style="margin:5px;" /></a> <br><em>981-99      Norbert Moran's Scrapbook, 1944    Copyright: Simcoe County Archives</em></p><p> The first rails to be built in the area belonged to the Ontario, Simcoe and Huron Railway (1849), Toronto, Simcoe and Muskoka Junction Railway (1872), North Simcoe Railway (1878) and Hamilton and North Western Railway (1879) all of which either soon became or already were a part of the Northern Railway by the 1880s. After them came the Midland Railway of Canada (1879), Grand Trunk Railway (1911) which merged into the Canadian National Railway in 1923, and Georgian Bay and Seaboard Railway, which was owned by the Canadian Pacific Railroad (1912). Along these rails sprung up beautiful feats of architecture and from these railroads came a new way of life, new economic growth and a new committee of County Council.</p><p style="text-align:center;"><a title="Michael J. Polly Conductor GTR and CNR, Taken at Collingwood Station, 1945 " href="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/979-94%201080w%20E2-B4-3b-3-1.jpg"><img alt="Michael J. Polly Conductor GTR and CNR, Taken at Collingwood Station, 1945 " src="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/979-94%20480w%20E2-B4-3b-3-1.jpg" style="margin:5px;" /></a><br><em>979-94     Michael J. Polly Conductor GTR and CNR, Taken at Collingwood Station, 1945     Copyright: Public Domain</em></p><h2> Allandale Station</h2><p style="text-align:center;"><a title="Allandale Station ca. 1900 " href="/Archives/PublishingImages/991-29%201080w%20E10%20B1%20R3B%20S1%20SH3%20NEG%201131%20NEG%201008.jpg"><img alt="Allandale Station ca. 1900 " src="/Archives/PublishingImages/991-29%20480w%20E10%20B1%20R3B%20S1%20SH3%20NEG%201131%20NEG%201008.jpg" style="margin:5px;" /></a> </p><p style="text-align:center;"><em>991-29    Allandale Station ca. 1900     Copyright: Public Domain</em></p><p><span style="font-size:1em;"><span class="ms-rteThemeFontFace-1 ms-rteThemeForeColor-3-4" style="line-height:107%;font-size:1em;">The </span><span class="ms-rteThemeFontFace-1 ms-rteThemeForeColor-3-4" style="line-height:107%;font-size:1em;">Ontario Simcoe and Huron Railway rolled into Allandale in the mid-1850s,</span><span class="ms-rteThemeFontFace-1 ms-rteThemeForeColor-3-4" style="line-height:107%;font-size:1em;"> only to change its name to the Northern Railway of Canada in 1859. In 1890, the first of three buildings at Allandale station was constructed.</span><span class="ms-rteThemeForeColor-3-4" id="ms-rterangepaste-end"></span> The train station served as an economic hub for the region, exporting goods from surrounding areas like Beeton and Kempenfelt Bay, along with bringing in the first real wave of cottagers to kick start Simcoe County's tourism industry. </span></p><p style="text-align:center;"><a title="Six women picnicking ca. 1890" href="/Archives/PublishingImages/983-16%201080w%20E57-B1-R4A-S9-SH2%20COPY%20NEG832.jpg"><img alt="Six women picnicking ca. 1890" src="/Archives/PublishingImages/983-16%20480w%20E57-B1-R4A-S9-SH2%20COPY%20NEG832.jpg" style="margin:5px;" /></a> <br><em>983-16     </em><em>Six women picnicking ca. 1890     Copyright: Public Domain</em></p><p style="text-align:center;"><a title="Gidley Collection, ca. 1909 " href="/Archives/PublishingImages/984-4%201080w%20Gidley%20Collection%20NEG%20504%20E15%20B3%20R4A%20S9%20SH3.jpg"><img alt="Gidley Collection, ca. 1909 " src="/Archives/PublishingImages/984-4%20480w%20Gidley%20Collection%20NEG%20504%20E15%20B3%20R4A%20S9%20SH3.jpg" style="margin:5px;" /></a><em><br>984-04     Gidley Collection, ca. 1909     Copyright: Public Domain</em></p><p>While there were many stations along the rail lines within the County, Allandale served as the main attraction, with its fashionable Italianate Villa architecture that survives as a beauty to this day. The station was closed in the 1980's due to diminished rail services. It has since been named a Historic Site by the <a title="Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada" href="">Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada</a>.  </p><p style="text-align:center;"><a title="Allandale Railway Station looking East, 1905" href="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/997-124%201080w%20Allendale%20Railway%20Station%201905%20View%20looking%20east.jpg"><img alt="Allandale Railway Station looking East, 1905" src="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/997-124%20480w%20Allendale%20Railway%20Station%201905%20View%20looking%20east.jpg" style="margin:5px;" /></a> </p><p style="text-align:center;"><em>997-124     Allandale Railway Station looking East, 1905     Copyright: Public Domain</em></p><p>As of 2018, the Allandale Train Station and its surrounding lands have been the site of a Stage 4 <a title="City of Barrie, Allandale Train Station lands page" href="">archeaological study</a> launched by the City of Barrie, in consultation with representatives for <span lang="EN-US">Huron-Wendat and various Williams Treaty First Nations communities. The study was undertaken to determine the archeological significance of the site, following the discovery of human remains and a potential burial ground.</span></p><h2>Midhurst </h2><p style="text-align:center;"><a title="Midhurst Station, 1978 " href="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/1080w%20Scrap%20book,%20page%203%20E6%20B6%204B%20S9%20SH2.jpg"><img alt="Midhurst Station, 1978 " src="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/480w%20981-99%20Scrap%20book,%20page%203%20E6%20B6%204B%20S9%20SH2.jpg" style="margin:5px;width:480px;" /></a> </p><p style="text-align:center;"><em>981-99     Norbert Moran’s Scrapbook, Midhurst Train Station, 1978   <br></em><em>Copyright: Simcoe County Archive</em></p><p>Midhurst station was opened by the Canadian Pacific Railroad. King George VI and Queen Elizabeth passed through Midhurst on their royal tour across Canada in 1939. Rumor had spread that the King and Queen would stop in Midhurst and 25,000 people waited in attendance to welcome them. Children from miles around had been transported there to meet them, Mr. Henry Lay, brother-in-law to then Prime Minister Mackenzie King, was planning to present the Queen with flowers and welcome her to the village. The train did not even stop but carried on at 60 miles an hour. </p><p style="text-align:center;"><a title="Royal Visit at Midhurst Train Station, 1939" href="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/2018-08%201080w%20Royal%20Visit%20at%20Midhurst%20Train%20Station%201939%20B3-R5B-S1-SH3.jpg"><img alt="Royal Visit at Midhurst Train Station, 1939" src="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/2018-08%20480w%20Royal%20Visit%20at%20Midhurst%20Train%20Station%201939%20B3-R5B-S1-SH3.jpg" style="margin:5px;" /></a> </p><p style="text-align:center;"><em>2018-08     Royal Visit at Midhurst Train Station, 1939      Copyright: Public Domain</em></p><h2>Collingwood </h2><p style="text-align:center;"><a title="Railway Station, Collingwood, ca. 1920 " href="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/999-47%201080w%20E7-B3-R4A-S5-SH2.jpg"><img alt="Railway Station, Collingwood, ca. 1920 " src="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/999-47%20480w%20E7-B3-R4A-S5-SH2.jpg" style="margin:5px;" /></a> </p><p style="text-align:center;"><em>999-47     Railway Station, Collingwood, ca. 1920     Copyright: Public Domain</em></p><p>Part of the Meaford Subdivision, the Collingwood Terminal was at the heart of industrial activity in the late 1800s and early 1900s. It served as a representative of two forces of industry; agriculture and shipbuilding. </p><p style="text-align:center;"><a title=" H.M.C.S. Collingwood, July 27, 1940" href="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/978-45%201080w%20H.M.C.S.%20Collingwood%20July%2037,%201940.jpg"><img src="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/978-45%20480w%20H.M.C.S.%20Collingwood%20July%2037,%201940.jpg" alt="" style="margin:5px;width:480px;" /></a><em><br>978-45     H.M.C.S. Collingwood, July 27, 1940     Copyright: Public Domain</em></p><p>The Northern Railway terminus is also home to massive grain elevators, 100 feet high and 22-feet in diameter and capable of housing two million bushels of grain. The Collingwood Town saw the need for the elevators in 1899 but construction was continually postponed due to low water levels. The grain elevators were finally completed and opened one month before the stock market crashed in 1929. The terminal was also home to a successful ship yard, which began at a small scale in the 1850s but eventually grew into the Collingwood Shipbuilding Company in 1900, ushering in the age of steel hull construction that occurred in Georgian Bay.  </p><p style="text-align:center;"><em><a title="Collingwood Station, May 12 1912" href="/Archives/PublishingImages/974-92%201080w%20ENC%201%20E1%20B6%20R4A%20S5%20SH1%20NEG223%20238.jpg"><img alt="Collingwood Station, May 12 1912" src="/Archives/PublishingImages/974-92%20480w%20ENC%201%20E1-B6-R4A-S5-SH1%20NEG223%20238.jpg" style="margin:5px;" /></a><br>    974-92     Collingwood Station, May 12 1912       Copyright: Public Domain</em></p><p style="text-align:center;"><em></em>Between the shipyard, the grain elevators and the train station, the Terminal served as the industrial hub. The terminal only closed its gates in 1993 after 64 years of operation. </p><h2>Simcoe County Council </h2><p style="text-align:center;"><a title="Probably at Allandale Station Shay Locomotive, 1923" href="/Archives/PublishingImages/988-46%201080w%20Probably%20at%20Allandale%20Station%20Shay%20Locomotive%2050%20E11%20B7%20R4A%20S1%20Sh5.jpg"><img alt="Probably at Allandale Station Shay Locomotive, 1923" src="/Archives/PublishingImages/988-46%20480wProbably%20at%20Allandale%20Station%20Shay%20Locomotive%2050%20E11%20B7%20R4A%20S1%20Sh5.jpg" style="margin:5px;" /></a> <br><em>988-46     Likely Allandale Station Shay Locomotive, 1923     </em><br><em>Copyright: Public Domain</em></p><p style="text-align:left;"> The importance of the railroads is reflected in the Simcoe County Council minutes held at the Simcoe County Archives. Issues and interests related to railways were represented by a designated committee of council. The Railways Committee was established in the late 1800s. It was later changed to the Railways and Canals Committee. One of the responsibilities of the committee was ensuring the safety of civilians. We can see the committee's interests in protecting the well-being of civilians in the minutes gathered from 1876-1899 and 1903-1944. In those minutes we find several accounts related to unsafe rail crossings. In one account in 1882, because the crossing at Allandale was deemed unsafe, the committee decreed that a man with a flag would stand by the crossing until modifications could be made to make it safer. Hopefully, they paid him well. Another account in 1880 was concerned that the railway companies failed to put up proper fences along the railway. As a result of improper fencing, large quantities of livestock were dying on a daily bases due to being hit by the trains with no compensation for the farmers. With the council's assistance through strong recommendations sent to the railway companies, the fences were put in place by the railroads in the interests of local farmers. </p><p style="text-align:center;"><em><a title="Mileage 11.8 Huntsville Sub. Protected by Old Style Board Fence, 1943" href="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/987-22%201080w%20Mileage%2011.8%20Huntsville%20Sub.%20Protected%20by%20Old%20Style%20Board%20Fence.jpg"><img alt="Mileage 11.8 Huntsville Sub. Protected by Old Style Board Fence, 1943" src="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/987-22%20480w%20Mileage%2011.8%20Huntsville%20Sub.%20Protected%20by%20Old%20Style%20Board%20Fence.jpg" style="margin:5px;width:352px;" /></a><br>987-22     Mileage 11.8 Huntsville Sub. Protected by Old Style Board Fence, 1943          Copyright: Public Domain</em></p><p>At the midpoint of the nineteenth century, the railways came to the County of Simcoe and with them came beautiful feats of architecture, each with an unique history. It brought an industrial boom, tourism, royalty, and connected us to the rest of Canada in a way we hadn’t been before. It also brought forth a committee dedicated to the protection of regular people and their livelihoods.   </p><p style="text-align:left;"><span>By Samantha Mills, Student Archives Assistant<br>Posted: 2018/06/01</span></p><p><strong></strong> </p><p><strong>Works Consulted</strong></p><ul><li>“Allandale CNR Station." <em>Canada's Historic Places: A Federal, Provincial and Territorial Collaboration. </em>December 15, 2000. <a href=""></a></li><li>“Allandale Station Lands." <em>The City of Barrie. </em>June 1, 2018. <a href=""></a></li><li>“Allandale Train Station." <em>Urbex Barrie. </em>September 12, 2007. <a href=""></a></li><li> “Collingwood Terminals." <em>Collingwood Living. </em>January 2018. <em> </em><a href=""></a></li><li>“Collingwood Terminals." <em>Town of Collingwood. </em>2017. <a href=""></a></li><li>Jackson, Kenneth. “Buried Souls: How Ontario bulldozed through a rare Huron-Wendat burial site in Barrie." National News, March 9, 2016. <a href=""></a> </li><li><em>Minutes of the Country of Simcoe Municipal Council from 1879-82. </em>(County of Simcoe, 1879-82), 24, 38. </li><li>Recollection: Midhurst History-Royal Visit, 1939, Alan Johnston, Simcoe County Archives. </li><li>Timmerman, Hugh. “Station Hill Station- Research and Discovery." <em>Municipality of Meaford. </em>June 2012. <a href=""></a> </li><li>Wilmot, Elizabeth A. <em>Faces and Places Along the Railway. </em>Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal: Gage Publishing Limited, 1979. </li><li>Wilson, Ian. <em>Steam at Allandale. </em>Orillia: Canadian Branchline Miniatures, 1998. </li></ul><p> </p><p style="text-align:center;"><em><span style="line-height:107%;font-family:"arial",sans-serif;font-size:11pt;"><font color="#000000"></font></span></em> </p><p style="text-align:center;"><em><span style="line-height:107%;font-family:"arial",sans-serif;font-size:11pt;"><font color="#000000"></font></span></em> </p>
Local Food Week in Ontario 7:19:32 PMLocal Food Week in Ontario<p>Happy Local Food Week!  Simcoe County's residents and visitors have been enjoying the <a href="">local bounty</a> for a very long time.  The Simcoe County Archives' blog post this month provides an historical glimpse into some of the food that has been grown and/or harvested here.</p><p>There is archaeological evidence in Simcoe County that members of unknown Indigenous communities strategically sank wooden stakes into the waterbed of the Narrows between Lakes Couchiching and Simcoe more than 5,000 calendar years ago.  In the centuries immediately prior to the arrival of Europeans in 1650, members of the Huron-Wendat used the existing weirs, and added more to them.  The <a title="The secrets of the Mnjikaning Fish Weirs" href="">Mnjikaning Fish Weirs</a> is now a national historic site.</p><p>More recently, residents and visitors have fished from shores, docks, watercraft, and through the ice of the county's many bodies of water.</p><p style="text-align:center;"> <a title="Indigenous guides fishing from an unknown dock or pier " href="/Archives/PublishingImages/978-23%20Two%20native%20guides%20at%20Copperhead%20Dock%20-%201080%20E7%20B3%20R3B%20S3%20Sh2.jpg"><img alt="Indigenous guides fishing from an unknown dock or pier " src="/Archives/PublishingImages/978-23%20Two%20native%20guides%20at%20Copperhead%20Dock%20-%20480%20E7%20B3%20R3B%20S3%20Sh2.jpg" style="margin:5px;" /></a></p><p style="text-align:center;"><em>978-23 – </em><span lang="EN"><em>Indigenous guides fishing from an unknown dock or pier </em></span><em>– Copyright:  Public Domain</em></p><p style="text-align:left;">Starting in the early to mid 1800s, European settlers cleared the lands, planted a variety of crops and fruit trees, including onions and apples, and then sold the harvest at local town <a title="Simcoe County Farmers Market " href="">markets</a>.</p><p style="text-align:center;"> <a title="Field of onions on the Brown Farm, near what is now Barrie's Kozlov Centre " href="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/986-50%20Cundles%20Rd%20top%20of%20picture%20Koslov%20Rd%20field%20of%20onions%20contract%20Robert%20Brown%20Wallace%20Brown%20top%20left%201080.jpg"><img alt="Field of onions on the Brown Farm, near what is now Barrie's Kozlov Centre " src="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/986-50%20Cundles%20Rd%20top%20of%20picture%20Koslov%20Rd%20field%20of%20onions%20contract%20Robert%20Brown%20Wallace%20Brown%20top%20left%20480.jpg" style="margin:5px;" /></a></p><p style="text-align:center;"><em>986-50 – Field of onions on the Brown Farm, near what is now Barrie's Kozlov Centre – Copyright:  Public Domain</em></p><p style="text-align:center;"><em><a title="Archibald Currie apple picking in the early 1900s " href="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/979-76%201080w%20Archibald%20Currie%20apple%20picking%20early%201900s%20Encl%20A%20E1%20B4%20R3B%20S3%20Sh5.jpg"><img alt="Archibald Currie apple picking in the early 1900s " src="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/979-76%20480w%20Archibald%20Currie%20apple%20picking%20early%201900s%20Encl%20A%20E1%20B4%20R3B%20S3%20Sh5.jpg" style="margin:5px;" /></a></em> </p><p style="text-align:center;"><em>979-76 – Archibald Currie apple picking in the early 1900s – Copyright:  Public Domain</em></p><p style="text-align:left;"><a title="Village of Beeton History" href="">Beeton</a> was so named when the community was granted a post office.  Postmaster David A. Jones was also a prominent beekeeper and publisher of The Canadian Bee Journal.</p><p style="text-align:center;"><a title="The Canadian Bee Journal " href="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/971-03%201080w%20Canadian%20Bee%20Journal%20R1B%20S10%20Sh1.jpg"><img alt="The Canadian Bee Journal " src="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/971-03%20480w%20Canadian%20Bee%20Journal%20R1B%20S10%20Sh1.jpg" style="margin:5px;" /></a> </p><p style="text-align:center;"><em>971-03 – The Canadian Bee Journal – Copyright:  Public Domain</em></p><p style="text-align:left;">Indigenous residents of Simcoe County taught European settlers how to gather sap from sugar maple trees and boil it down to a sweet syrup.  In 1849, more than 160,000 lbs (72,574 kg) of <a title="Simcoe County Maple Syrup Producers " href="">maple sugar</a> was produced in Simcoe County.  </p><p style="text-align:center;"><a title="Gathering sap in Medonte Township " href="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/2016-25%202963%201080w%20Gathering%20Sap%20-%20Oro%20Medonte%20B1%20R601B%20S3%20Sh3.jpg"><img alt="Gathering sap in Medonte Township " src="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/2016-25%202963%20480w%20Gathering%20Sap%20-%20Oro%20Medonte%20B1%20R601B%20S3%20Sh3.jpg" style="margin:5px;width:480px;" /></a> </p><p style="text-align:center;"><em>2016-25 – Gathering sap in Medonte Township – Copyright:  Public Domain</em></p><p style="text-align:left;">In the 1920s, the <a title="Town of BWG History" href="">Holland Marsh</a> was drained to form a large area or fertile land suitable for the growing of a wide variety of vegetables destined for Ontario and foreign markets. </p><p style="text-align:center;"><a title="Potato picking in the Holland Marsh " href="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/2008-56%201080w%20Federal%20Farms%20farming%20activities%202%20E21%20B1%20R4B%20S5%20Sh1.jpg"><img alt="Potato picking in the Holland Marsh " src="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/2008-56%20480w%20Federal%20Farms%20farming%20activities%202%20E21%20B1%20R4B%20S5%20Sh1.jpg" style="margin:5px;" /></a> </p><p style="text-align:center;"><em>2008-56 – Potato picking in the Holland Marsh – Copyright:  Federal Farms Limited, used with permission</em></p><p><a title="Simcoe County Council" href="/_layouts/15/FIXUPREDIRECT.ASPX?WebId=a41fbfa1-82ca-4939-9932-d97b8d6ad3e9&TermSetId=fb933945-005d-43ad-bb62-b84ef1fa9284&TermId=1b94985b-ce61-4029-bd89-5b96d8ad74f6">Simcoe County Council</a> struck an Agriculture Committee in 1928 and it continued under various names until the 1980s, when its mandate was assumed by the Environmental Service Committee.  During the Second World War, the Council also created an Agricultural War Production Committee.  The aim of both committees was to promote the development and implementation of systems for agricultural improvements and sustainability in Simcoe County.  Minutes and reports for the historic committees of Simcoe County Council are available at the Archives.  You can search <a href="/dpt/arc/Online%20Resources">here</a> for descriptions of the records.</p><p>Bon Appetit!</p>
Mrs. Malcolm MacLeod and her recipe for butter tart filling 7:48:21 PMMrs. Malcolm MacLeod and her recipe for butter tart filling<p>There has been considerable buzz lately about butter tarts.  The sweet treat is, apparently, a uniquely Canadian one.  Their popularity has launched several festivals, including the local <a title="Best Butter Tart Festival" href="">Best Butter Tart Festival</a> in Midland.  The earliest-known published recipe for butter tarts has been traced back to Simcoe County and, specifically, to the cookbook published by the <a title="Royal Victoria Hospital Auxiliary" href="">Women's Auxiliary</a> of Royal Victoria Hospital in 1900.</p><p>A small hospital had been established in Barrie during the 1850s but a larger facility was needed to serve the needs of the growing town.  In June 1897 the Barrie General Hospital was opened on High Street, just to the north of what is now Dunlop Street.  The 13-bed facility was shortly thereafter renamed <a title="Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre" href="">Royal Victoria Hospital</a> to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria.</p><p style="text-align:center;"><a title="Opening of the Royal Victoria Hospital, 1897" href="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/977-08%20RVH%20Barrie%201897%20E2%20B2%20R3B%20S8%20Sh2%20x1080.jpg"><img alt="Opening of the Royal Victoria Hospital, 1897" src="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/977-08%20RVH%20Barrie%201897%20E2%20B2%20R3B%20S8%20Sh2%20x480.jpg" style="margin:5px;width:546px;" /></a> </p><p style="text-align:center;"><em class="ms-rteThemeForeColor-3-0">977-08 Opening of the Royal Victoria Hospital, 1897, Copyright: Public Domain</em></p><p>The Women's Auxiliary's desire to raise funds to purchase “the many comforts necessary to aid the sick and suffering while they are patients in our Hospital, compelled [them] to devise ways and means to procure this money,"<sup>1</sup> including selling a printed cookbook.  The recipes had been contributed by ladies in the community and were deliberately chosen to be used by the ordinary housekeeper.</p><p style="text-align:center;"><a title="Royal Victoria Cook Book page one" href="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/974-97%20Royal%20Victoria%20cook%20book%20page%201%20B2%20R3B%20S8%20Sh2%20x1080.jpg"><img alt="Royal Victoria Cook Book page one" src="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/974-97%20Royal%20Victoria%20cook%20book%20page%201%20B2%20R3B%20S8%20Sh2%20x480.jpg" style="margin:5px;width:424px;" /></a> </p><p style="text-align:center;"><span class="ms-rteThemeForeColor-3-0" lang="EN-US" style="line-height:107%;font-family:"arial",sans-serif;font-size:12pt;"><em>974-97 </em><em>Royal Victoria Cook Book p</em><em>g. 1, Copyright: Public Domain</em></span></p><p><span class="ms-rteThemeForeColor-2-0" lang="EN-US" style="line-height:107%;font-family:"arial",sans-serif;font-size:12pt;">Included on page 88, within the section entitled “Pies," was a simple, two-line recipe for making a “Filling for Tarts."</span></p><p style="text-align:center;"><span class="ms-rteThemeForeColor-2-0" lang="EN-US" style="line-height:107%;font-family:"arial",sans-serif;font-size:12pt;"><a title="Royal Victoria Cook Book, pages 88 and 89" href="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/974-97%20Royal%20Victoria%20cook%20book%20page%2088-89%20B2%20R3B%20S8%20Sh2%20165%20x1080.jpg"><img alt="Royal Victoria Cook Book, pages 88 and 89" src="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/974-97%20Royal%20Victoria%20cook%20book%20page%2088-89%20B2%20R3B%20S8%20Sh2%20165%20x480.jpg" style="margin:5px;width:607px;" /></a></span> </p><p style="text-align:center;"> <span class="ms-rteThemeForeColor-3-0" lang="EN-US" style="line-height:107%;font-family:"arial",sans-serif;font-size:12pt;"><em>974-97 Royal Victoria Cook Book, pg. 88-89, Copyright: Public Domain</em></span></p><p>Only the barest of details were included with the recipe as it was likely expected that cooks would use the preceding recipe to make plain pastry, and would already know how hot their oven needed to be and for how long to bake the tarts (oftentimes stated as: “until done").</p><p>So now we know about the origins of the butter tart recipe, but who was Mrs. Malcolm MacLeod?  </p><p>The 1901 Canadian Census of Barrie included a Malcolm MacLeod family living at 12 Toronto Street, not far from the hospital.  Mrs. Malcolm MacLeod's first name was Mary and, according to the information recorded by the enumerator, she was born in rural Ontario on December 15, 1855.</p><p style="text-align:center;"> <a title="Extract from the Fourth Census of Canada, 1901, Province of Ontario, District No. 114, North Simcoe, Sub-District A." href=""><img alt="Fourth Census of Canada, 1901, Province of Ontario, District No. 114, North Simcoe, Sub-District A., Polling sub-division No. 5 " src="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/1901_MacLeod_Malcolm_Census.jpg" style="margin:5px;width:550px;" /></a></p><p><span class="ms-rteThemeForeColor-3-0"><em>Extract from the </em></span><span class="ms-rteThemeForeColor-3-0" id="ms-rterangepaste-start"></span><span class="ms-rteThemeForeColor-3-0"><em>Fourth Census of Canada, 1901, Province of Ontario, District No. 114, North Simcoe, Sub-District A., Polling sub-division No. 5 in Barrie Town, pg. 1</em></span><span class="ms-rteThemeForeColor-3-0"><em>, Copyright: Public Domain </em></span></p><p>Further research found that Mary MacLeod died in Toronto on April 19, 1915, and an obituary was published on page 5, in the April 22, 1915 edition of The Northern Advance newspaper.</p><p style="text-align:center;"> <a title="Obituary for Mary MacLeod published April 22, 1915 in The Northern Advance" href="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/1915-04-22-p5_BNA_MacLeod_Mary_Obi%20x1080t.jpg"><img alt="Obituary for Mary MacLeod published April 22, 1915 in The Northern Advance" src="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/1915-04-22-p5_BNA_MacLeod_Mary_Obi%20x480t.jpg" style="margin:5px;width:365px;" /></a></p><p style="text-align:center;"><em class="ms-rteThemeForeColor-3-0">The Northern Advance, April 22, 1915, pg. 5, Copyright: Public Domain</em></p><p>So, there you have it.  We can thank Mary Ethel (Cowie) MacLeod (ca 1855-1915) for contributing her recipe for butter tart filling to the <em>Royal Victoria Cook Book.</em></p><p><em></em> </p><p><em>References:</em></p><p>The Women's Auxiliary to the Royal Victoria Hospital, preface to <em>Royal Victoria Cook Book</em>, compiled by The Women's Auxiliary to the Royal Victoria Hospital (Barrie:  S. Wesley, 1900), 5.</p>
Memorializing Simcoe County's Heroes 7:08:05 PMMemorializing Simcoe County's Heroes<p>​May 8, 1945 brought victory in Europe, inciting celebration throughout Canada. Although this was a period of excitement and relief, it was overshadowed by the reality of staggering casualties. As we commemorate the 73<sup>rd</sup> anniversary of Victory in Europe Day during our celebration of the County of Simcoe's 175 years of incorporation, we highlight the county's efforts to monitor and memorialize residents who gave the ultimate sacrifice in the service of their country. </p><p><strong>Simcoe County War Records Committee</strong></p><p>As the war raged on, the county sought to stay informed about residents who enlisted into active service. The Simcoe County War Records Committee was created by <a title="About Committees and Council" href="/_layouts/15/FIXUPREDIRECT.ASPX?WebId=a41fbfa1-82ca-4939-9932-d97b8d6ad3e9&TermSetId=fb933945-005d-43ad-bb62-b84ef1fa9284&TermId=1b94985b-ce61-4029-bd89-5b96d8ad74f6">council</a> to monitor military personnel, paying special attention to those who perished while in service. The committee sent out letters requesting that the clerks of the County's <a title="Municipal partners" href="/Clerks/Pages/municipalpartners.aspx">townships, towns, and villages </a>create an ongoing report on the status of military members in their communities. They continually updated their lists and maintained correspondence with the War Records Committee so that it could compile accurate and up-to-date data.</p><p style="text-align:center;"> <a title="Letter of thanks from the Simcoe County War Records Committee" href="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/972-27_War%20Records%20Committee_October%2024%201941-1080.jpg"><img class="ms-rteImage-0" alt="Letter of thanks from the Simcoe County War Records Committee" src="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/972-27_War%20Records%20Committee_October%2024%201941-480.jpg" style="margin:5px;" /></a></p><p style="text-align:center;"><em>972-27 Letter of thanks from the Simcoe County War Records Committee<br></em><em>Copyright: Corporation of the County of Simcoe</em></p><p>Newspapers became a valuable resource, since publicity made residents eager to report corrections and updates on the status of family members. As <em>The Alliston Herald</em> explained, keeping up with constant changes was difficult because: “almost every day we get a change or a new name to add to the list" making the project “…quite an expense". Even so, they assured “continued cooperation" with the War Records Committee.</p><p style="text-align:center;"><a title="Letter from the Alliston Herald ensuring “continued cooperation"" href="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/972-27_The%20Alliston%20Herald_November%2018%201941-1080.jpg"><img class="ms-rteImage-0" alt="Letter from the Alliston Herald ensuring “continued cooperation"" src="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/972-27_The%20Alliston%20Herald_November%2018%201941-480.jpg" style="margin:5px;" /></a> </p><p style="text-align:center;"><em>972-27 Letter from the Alliston Herald ensuring “continued cooperation"<br><em><em>Copyright: Unknown</em></em></em></p><p>The collaboration of the various municipal and newspaper offices enabled the War Records Committee to compile a seemingly complete list of those on active service, and it became an invaluable resource at the end of the war.</p><p style="text-align:center;"><em><a title="Working list of Simcoe County residents in active service" href="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/972-27_SC%20Active%20Service%20List-1080.jpg"><img alt="Working list of Simcoe County residents in active service" src="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/972-27_SC%20Active%20Service%20List-480.jpg" style="margin:5px;" /></a></em> </p><p style="text-align:center;"><em>972-27 Working list of Simcoe County residents in active service<br><em><em>Copyright: <em>Corporation of the County of Simcoe</em></em></em></em></p><p><strong>Simcoe County War Memorial Plaque Committee</strong></p><p>With the declaration of victory in 1945, residents sought ways to remember the friends and family who had been lost to them. The County of Simcoe promptly established the War Memorial Plaque Committee, which was tasked to commemorate the County's heroes. With the previous work the War Records Committee had completed, the War Memorial Plaque Committee had only to validate and finalize the list of names that would appear on the county's memorial.</p><p style="text-align:center;"><em><a title="Notices were placed in Newspapers across the county" href="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/972-27_Newspaper%20Notice-1080.jpg"><img alt="Notices were placed in Newspapers across the county" src="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/972-27_Newspaper%20Notice-480.jpg" style="margin:5px;" /></a></em> </p><p style="text-align:center;"><em>972-27 Notices were placed in Newspapers across the county<br><em><em>Copyright: <em>Corporation of the County of Simcoe</em></em></em></em></p><p>Newspapers were asked to publish a notice requesting family members to confirm the county's war dead. Only individuals who had specified their residence as being within Simcoe County at the time of their enlistment have been remembered on the plaque. The municipal clerks collected the information and then forwarded the details to the committee.</p><p style="text-align:center;"><a title="Letter from Midland's Clerk confirming local casualties" href="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/972-27_Town%20of%20Midland_April%2025%201946-1080.jpg"><img alt="Letter from Midland's Clerk confirming local casualties" src="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/972-27_Town%20of%20Midland_April%2025%201946-480.jpg" style="margin:5px;" /></a> </p><p style="text-align:center;"><em>972-27 Letter from Midland's Clerk confirming local casualties<br><em><em>Copyright: Unknown</em></em></em></p><p>With the collection of names underway, the committee focused on making plans for the physical plaque. It was decided that the county memorial would be placed in the rotunda of the courthouse and that a leather-bound remembrance book would accompany it. </p><p style="text-align:center;"><em><a title="Sketch of the Simcoe County Court House WWII Memorial 1947" href="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/972-27_War%20Memorial%20Plaque_1947-1080.jpg"><img alt="Sketch of the Simcoe County Court House WWII Memorial 1947" src="/Archives/PublishingImages/Pages/Blog/972-27_War%20Memorial%20Plaque_1947-480.jpg" style="margin:5px;" /></a></em> </p><p style="text-align:center;"><em>972-27 Sketch of the Simcoe County Court House WWII Memorial 1947<br><em><em>Copyright: Unknown</em></em></em></p><p>Even as the plaque was being constructed, new names were acquired and changes submitted. The Committee which had originally calculated 275 names, had a total of 346 by the end of the process. The Committee subsequently received word several names had been missed. After looking into the claims, the names were added to the plaque bringing the total number to 349. The Simcoe County Archives has no evidence that the official Book of Remembrance was ever created, but SCA staff have compiled a list of the names which is available <a title="Simcoe County Honour Roll, 1935-1945" href="/Archives/Documents/SC_Memorial_Roll_WWII.pdf">here</a>. </p><p>The plaque remained at the Court House until it was moved to the new Simcoe County Administration Centre when it opened in 1972. In preparation for the expansion of the Centre, completed in 2012, the plaque was removed to the <a title="Simcoe County Museum" href="">Simcoe County Museum </a>for safekeeping. It is currently located in storage at the Museum.</p><p>The importance of the Simcoe County War Records Committee, and the Simcoe County War Memorial Plaque Committee cannot be underestimated, since their ambition to keep track of the county's servicemen and servicewomen made it possible to commemorate our World War II casualties.  Their creation, in fact, was likely a result of the realization that the absence of similar committees during the First World War meant no records existed for those with ties to Simcoe County who served and/or died during the conflict.  As a result, while <a title="Remembering Vimy" href="/Archives/Pages/Remembering-Vimy.aspx">cenotaphs</a> were erected in communities throughout Simcoe County, there is not a county-wide commemorative memorial.</p><p>As we remember Victory in Europe day, we pause to remember the many men and women of Simcoe County who participated on the home front and overseas.</p><p>Visit the Simcoe County Archives to access more information about the county's involvement in the <a title="About the Archives" href="/_layouts/15/FIXUPREDIRECT.ASPX?WebId=a41fbfa1-82ca-4939-9932-d97b8d6ad3e9&TermSetId=fb933945-005d-43ad-bb62-b84ef1fa9284&TermId=29b72580-d0a2-4486-8de8-5fa6678e2631">Second World War</a>. You can also learn more about county war memorials using the Simcoe County memorial<a title="Simcoe County War memorial map" href=""> map</a>. For further inquiries, please contact the Archives at <a href=""></a>.</p><p> </p><p> By Veronika Mikolajewski, Student Archives Assistant</p><p>Posted: May 8, 2018</p>
Remembering Vimy 3:23:02 PMRemembering Vimy<p style="text-align:left;"><strong class="ms-rteThemeFontFace-2">​<span class="ms-rteFontSize-5 ms-rteThemeFontFace-2">April 9-12, 1917</span></strong></p><p><strong>Introduction</strong></p><p>The story of the <a title="The Battle of Vimy Ridge Exhibit" href="">Battle of Vimy Ridge </a>has become entwined in the history of Canada.  It marked the first time during the Great War that the four Canadian divisions were brought together to fight for a common objective: to launch an assault on a strategic piece of land the Germans had held since 1914.  The resulting victory, and its human losses, have been commemorated by Canadians ever since.  Those who fought and lived had memories to recall, and the dead were remembered by those they had known and loved at home, while enduring memorials were constructed as reminders to subsequent generations.  Evidence of those memories, in memoriams, and memorials are preserved at the Simcoe County Archives. </p><p style="text-align:center;"><strong class="ms-rteFontSize-4">THE MEMORIES</strong></p><p><strong>"Battle of Arras began this am"</strong></p><p>During the First World War, Gerard Breckenridge Strathy (1880-1963) was an officer in the Canad<a title="Enlarge diary pages" href="/Archives/PublishingImages/dpt/arc/Vimy_Exhibit/981-21_1024_1917%20Diary_GB%20Strathy_p54-55.JPG"><img class="ms-rteImage-3 ms-rtePosition-1" alt="G.B. Strathy Diary, April 1917" src="/Archives/PublishingImages/dpt/arc/Vimy_Exhibit/981-21_480_1917%20Diary_GB%20Strathy_p54-55.JPG" style="margin:5px;width:380px;height:293px;" /></a>ian Army Medical Corps.  In April 1917 he was serving with the <a title="In Good Hands Exhibit" href="">No. 2 Canadian Casualty Clearing Station</a> based at Remy Siding.  </p><p>In his personal diary entry for Monday, April 9, 1917, Strathy wrote: "News in to-day that Canadians have captured Vimy Ridge… a great stunt if true."</p><p><span class="ms-rteFontSize-1"></span> </p><p><span class="ms-rteFontSize-1"></span> </p><p><span class="ms-rteFontSize-1">981-21  Morton Family Collection - G.B. Strathy Diary, 1917.     Copyright:  </span><span class="ms-rteFontSize-1">Public domain.</span></p><p><span class="ms-rteFontSize-1"></span> </p><p><strong>"Vive. Vive Canadien"</strong></p><p>Christopher George Cook (1892-1979) was born in Cookstown, Simcoe County, and <a title="Full essay and poem" href="/Archives/PublishingImages/dpt/arc/Vimy_Exhibit/CG%20COOK_Vimy%20Ridge%20Collection.pdf"><img class="ms-rteImage-3 ms-rtePosition-1" alt="C.G. Cook poem "The Night Before Vimy"" src="/Archives/PublishingImages/dpt/arc/Vimy_Exhibit/986-39_480_The%20Night%20Before%20Vimy_CG%20Cook_Pg%201.jpg" style="margin:5px;width:340px;height:425px;" /></a>enlisted in the 169<sup>th</sup> Overseas Battalion on January 24, 1916.  He joined the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry "in the field" on March 6, 1917.  </p><p>Cook had worked at the Cookstown Advocate for a time before the war and apparently never got the ink out of his system.  His <a title="Article re. C.G. Cook" href="">essay and poem</a> in memory of Vimy were likely written during the 1960s or 1970s.</p><p> </p><p><strong></strong>  </p><p><span class="ms-rteFontSize-1"></span> </p><p><span class="ms-rteFontSize-1"></span><span class="ms-rteFontSize-1"></span> </p><p><span class="ms-rteFontSize-1">986-39  Essay and Poem by Christopher George Cook.     Copyright:  C.G. Cook Estate, used with permission.</span></p><p> </p><p><strong></strong> <strong>"Albert to Ypres – 60 miles"</strong></p><p><a title="Norman D. Clarke - Canadian Great War Project" href="">Norman D. Clarke</a> (1893-1977), enlisted in the 5<sup>th</sup> University Company on November 30, <a title="Enlarge atlas pages" href="/Archives/PublishingImages/dpt/arc/Vimy_Exhibit/979-38_1024_War%20Atlas%20and%20Gazetteer.JPG"><img class="ms-rtePosition-1 ms-rteImage-3" alt="The Times War Atlas and Gazetteer - The Western Theatre - Calais to the Meuse" src="/Archives/PublishingImages/dpt/arc/Vimy_Exhibit/979-38_480_War%20Atlas%20and%20Gazetteer.JPG" style="margin:5px;width:340px;height:254px;" /></a>1915.   He joined the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry "in the field" on June 9, 1916.  ​Among the many volumes in Clarke's private library was a copy of <em>The Times War Atlas and Gazetteer</em>, which was published the same year.  The Atlas included maps of the war areas as well as statistics relating to the "belligerent countries."</p><p><span class="ms-rteFontSize-1"></span> </p><p><span class="ms-rteFontSize-1">979-38   Norman D. Clarke collection - <em>The Times Atlas and Gazetteer, 1916</em>.     Copyright:  Public domain.</span></p><p> </p><p style="text-align:center;"><span class="ms-rteFontSize-4"><strong>IN MEMORIAM</strong></span></p><p><strong>"Died in the service of his King and Country"</strong><a title="Enlarge page" href="/Archives/PublishingImages/dpt/arc/Vimy_Exhibit/969-42_1024_Francis%20Goodwin%20Rankin_Memorial%20service%20pamplet_cover.jpg"><img class="ms-rtePosition-2 ms-rteImage-3" alt="Order of Service - in memory of Francis Goodwin Rankin, May 1917" src="/Archives/PublishingImages/dpt/arc/Vimy_Exhibit/969-42_480_Francis%20Goodwin%20Rankin_Memorial%20service%20pamplet_cover.jpg" style="margin:5px;width:300px;height:448px;" /></a></p><p>Francis Goodwin Rankin (1896-1917), was the son of Henry Thomas and Frances Melinda (Goodwin) Rankin.  On <a title="F. G. Rankin Attestation Paper" href="">September 3, 1915 </a>he enlisted with the 76<sup>th</sup> Battalion in Niagara Camp, and later served with the 4<sup>th</sup> (Central Ontario) Battalion.  Rankin died on April 10, 1917, just a few months past his 21<sup>st</sup> birthday.  </p><p>​​<span aria-hidden="true"></span>A service in Rankin's memory was held at St. John's Anglican Church, Cookstown, at 8 o'clock in the evening of May 4, 1917.  The Order of Service also included the words to the four hymns which were sung.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p><span class="ms-rteFontSize-1"></span> </p><p><span class="ms-rteFontSize-1">969-42 R. Graham Estate collection - Order of Service in Memory of Francis Goodwin Rankin.     Copyright:  Public domain</span></p><p dir="rtl" style="text-align:right;"><span class="ms-rteFontSize-1"></span> 969-42</p><p><strong></strong> <strong>"In morning Jack got a message by wire..."</strong></p><p><img class="ms-rteImage-3 ms-rtePosition-2" alt="Transcription of diary entry" src="/Archives/PublishingImages/dpt/arc/Vimy_Exhibit/Wiggins_Transcription4.png" style="margin:5px;width:265px;" />Laura (McMurray) Wiggins was born in Sunnidale Township in 1880, the daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth (Clubine) McMurray.  In 1913 she married John W. (Jack) Wiggins and moved to Severn Bridge, Muskoka District.  </p><p>Her diary entry of April 12, 1917 noted that her husband had received news by wire that <a title="S. Mearing Service File" href="">Sid Mearing</a>, a former resident of Orillia, had died of wounds on April 6<sup>th</sup>.</p><blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right:0px;"><blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right:0px;"><blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right:0px;"><p><span class="ms-rteFontSize-1">     972-33 Laura Wiggins collection - Laura Wiggins Diary, 1916-1921.     Copyright:  L. Wiggins Estate</span></p></blockquote></blockquote></blockquote><p><strong></strong> </p><p> <strong>"… killed in action at Vimy Ridge"</strong></p><p><a title="Enlarge scrapbook page" href="/Archives/PublishingImages/dpt/arc/Vimy_Exhibit/967-129_1024_BOYES%20WWI%20Soldiers%20Scrapbook%202_p30%20copy.JPG"><img class="ms-rtePosition-2 ms-rteImage-3" alt="A. Boyes WWI Scrapbook" src="/Archives/PublishingImages/dpt/arc/Vimy_Exhibit/967-129_BOYES%20WWI%20Soldiers%20Scrapbook%202_p30_480.JPG" style="margin:5px;width:340px;height:516px;" /></a>During the First World War, local and national newspapers and magazines routinely published photographs of, and obituaries for, those who had died.  Individuals then clipped the items and pasted them into scrapbooks.  </p><p>One donated to the Simcoe County Archives by Annie Boyes includes a newspaper clipping re. <a title="T.R. Speers Obituary in Barrie Northern Advance" href="">Thomas Robert Speers</a> (1882-1917), second son of Mrs. and Mrs. James Speers of Barrie.  Speers fought at Vimy and died between April 8<sup>th</sup> and 10<sup>th</sup>.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right:0px;"><blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right:0px;"><blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right:0px;"><blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right:0px;"><blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right:0px;"><p>      <span class="ms-rteFontSize-1">967-129 Annie Boyes collection - WWI Scrapbook.     Copyright:  Public domain.</span></p></blockquote></blockquote></blockquote></blockquote></blockquote><p> </p><p style="text-align:center;"><strong class="ms-rteFontSize-4">THE MEMORIALS</strong></p><p><strong>"No known grave"</strong></p><blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right:0px;"><blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right:0px;"><p><a title="Enlarge image" href="/Archives/PublishingImages/dpt/arc/Vimy_Exhibit/969-31_1024_Vimy%20Memorial_R0A%20S11%20S0.jpg"><img class="ms-rtePosition-4 ms-rteImage-3" alt="Vimy Memorial postcard" src="/Archives/PublishingImages/dpt/arc/Vimy_Exhibit/969-31_480_Vimy%20Memorial_R0A%20S11%20S0.jpg" style="margin:5px;width:480px;height:326px;" /></a> </p><p><span class="ms-rteFontSize-1">      969-31 Haughton photograph album - postcard of Vimy Memorial.     Copyright:  Public domain.</span></p></blockquote></blockquote><p>While there are other memorial sites located in the vicinity of Vimy Ridge, the <a title="Canadian National Vimy Memorial" href="">monument</a> designed by architect Walter Seymour Allward commands the most attention.  It both commemorates the Battle of Vimy Ridge and stands as a tribute to all Canadians who gave or risked their lives during the First World War.  Unveiled by King Edward VIII on July 26, 1936, the figure of "Canada Bereft" looks down on the ramparts and the inscribed names of 11,285 Canadians who were killed in France and who have no known grave.  Included are William Robert McKay and William Chester Pettit, both of Tottenham, who fought and died at Vimy.</p><p> </p><p><strong>"Wreaths can be placed on graves at any time…"</strong></p><blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right:0px;"><blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right:0px;"><blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right:0px;"><p>   <a title="Full booklet" href="/Archives/PublishingImages/dpt/arc/Vimy_Exhibit/9620-1320_1024_Combined_Wreaths%20for%20War%20Graves.JPG"><img class="ms-rtePosition-4 ms-rteImage-3" alt="Wreaths for War Graves booklet" src="/Archives/PublishingImages/dpt/arc/Vimy_Exhibit/9620-1320_480_Wreaths%20for%20War%20Graves%20bklt_cover.JPG" style="margin:5px;width:360px;height:500px;" /></a></p><blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right:0px;"><p><span class="ms-rteFontSize-1">9620-1320  Wreaths for War Graves booklet.     Copyright:  Public domain.</span></p></blockquote></blockquote></blockquote></blockquote><p>The graves of the more than 7,000 buried in <a title="Commonwealth War Graves Commission" href="">cemeteries</a> within a 20-kilometre radius of the National Memorial at Vimy Ridge could not be personally visited by the majority of their family members and friends.  The St. Barnabas Hostels was established in 1919, "to help relatives of the fallen in every possible way."  This included making arrangements for wreaths, blessed by the chaplain, to be placed on graves at any time, but especially for Armistice Day, Christmas Day and Easter.</p><p> </p><p><strong>"To the memory of those who gave their lives…"   </strong></p><blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right:0px;"><blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right:0px;"><p><a title="Enlarge image" href="/Archives/PublishingImages/dpt/arc/Vimy_Exhibit/976-26_1024_Memorial%20and%20Arena%20Gardens%20Postcard.jpg"><img class="ms-rtePosition-4 ms-rteImage-3" alt="Memorial and Arena Gardens, Midland, Ontario, postcard" src="/Archives/PublishingImages/dpt/arc/Vimy_Exhibit/976-26_480_Memorial%20and%20Arena%20Gardens%20Postcard.jpg" style="margin:5px;width:480px;height:313px;" /></a> </p><p><span class="ms-rteFontSize-1">976-26 Memorial and Arena Gardens, Midland, Ontario, Canada postcard.     Copyright:  Public domain.</span> </p></blockquote></blockquote><p>Dedicated to the memory of those who gave their lives in the Great War, 1914-1918, <a title="Tour the War Memorials of Simcoe County" href="">Midland's Memorial</a> was unveiled on June 1, 1927.  Four of the 68 names engraved on the monument are of men who fell during the battle at Vimy:  Oscar French, David Green, John Lowes, and Albert Walker Sterrett.</p><p> </p><p style="text-align:center;"><strong class="ms-rteFontSize-5">Remembering Vimy, April 9-12, 1917</strong><a title="Enlarge poppy" href="/Archives/PublishingImages/dpt/arc/Vimy_Exhibit/985-66_1024_Poppy.JPG"><img class="ms-rtePosition-2" alt="Cloth poppy" src="/Archives/PublishingImages/dpt/arc/Vimy_Exhibit/985-66%20Poppy_edit_1024.PNG" style="margin:5px;width:151px;" /></a></p><blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right:0px;"><p dir="ltr"><span class="ms-rteFontSize-1"><span class="ms-rteFontSize-2">From:  </span><em class="ms-rteFontSize-2">For the Fallen</em><span class="ms-rteFontSize-2">, by Robert Laurence Binyon (1869-1943)</span></span></p><p dir="ltr">They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:</p><p dir="ltr">Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.</p><p dir="ltr">At the going down of the sun and in the morning</p><p dir="ltr">We will remember them.</p><blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right:0px;"><blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right:0px;"><blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right:0px;"><blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right:0px;"><blockquote dir="ltr" style="margin-right:0px;"><p dir="ltr"><span class="ms-rteFontSize-1">985-66 Morton collection - <a title="The History of the Poppy" href="">Cloth poppy</a>     Copyright:  Simcoe County Archives</span></p></blockquote></blockquote></blockquote></blockquote></blockquote></blockquote><p><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Images</span>: </p><p>Images on this page marked as public domain are free to re-use. If you do re-use public domain images, please credit the Simcoe County Archives as the source and link back to this page.</p>