Simcoe Cycling Without Age is based on a program called Cycling Without Age that originated in Copenhagen, Denmark. This innovative program is designed to enhance the lives of vulnerable seniors, and provides the opportunity to remain connected to society by actively participating in the community through cycling. Click here to view a video from Cycling Without Age - Ottawa.
Simcoe Cycling Without Age supports individuals with cognitive and physical decline by helping them with an active and inclusive lifestyle program. The main objectives of this program are:
- To reintroduce those who have lost aspects of their strength and mobility to an active and inclusive lifestyle program in the community
- Increase social participation, reduce loneliness, socialize and re-connect residents to nature and their community
- To enhance quality of life in ways only a bike ride can offer by social participation and enjoying once again a sense of freedom
- Remain active in society
- Create an Intergenerational Program
- Have fun!
Who is Involved?
Residents and family members, Program and Support Services, recreation and administration staff, volunteers, community members, and partners, Tourism Simcoe County. This program is currently being run at two of our Simcoe County Homes:
Georgian Village and Manor
101 Thompsons Road Penetanguishene 705-549-3166 Ext. 3080
Christina Thorpe, Supervisor, Program and Support Services
Simcoe Village and Manor
5988 Main Street East, Beeton (905) 729-2267 ext. 5080
Rosa Athanassoulis, Supervisor, Program and Support Services Rosa.Athanassoulis@simcoe.ca
Simcoe Village, Community Programs (905) 729-2267 ext. 5131
Peter.Verduin, Supervisor, Community Programs, Peter.Verduin@simcoe.ca
Sunset Manor and Sunset Suites
49 Raglan Street Collingwood 705-445-4499 Ext. 6080
Kailyn Donaldson, Supervisor, Program and Support Services
12 Grace Avenue, Orillia, Ontario (705) 325-1504 Ext. 4080
Crystal Rosewell, Supervisor, Program and Support Services
Future Goals for the Simcoe Cycling Program
We believe that everyone should be able to participate in the Simcoe Cycling program and receive the benefits of remaining active and connected to their community. As a result, Simcoe Village and Manor and Trillium Manor are exploring grant options so that the program can be expanded to all of our locations. If you have a way you can help with our expansion, we would love to hear from you.
Want to be part of this program?
- Complete an online application or in-person at the office:
Address: Georgian Village and Manor, 101 Thompsons Rd., Penetanguishene, ON L9M 0V3 Georgian Village & Manor Volunteer Application - Online Form
Georgian Village & Manor Volunteer Application Form - for Print
- In addition to attending a general orientation session, you will require a vulnerable sector screening, a Tuberculosis skin test, and take part in a bike safety course.
- Must be 18 or older to participate as a volunteer pilot and attend focus groups. Individuals under 18 can assist with administrative duties.