The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA) provides the right of the public to access municipal records, subject to certain limitations and exemptions. It also provides the right to access one’s own personal information and to correct it. The Act further requires municipalities to protect personal information by controlling the collection, use, disclosure, and disposal of information.
If you are interested in obtaining access to records of the County, you are first encouraged to contact the department that would be responsible for the record, to see if the records are available by way of routine disclosure. Some records or portions of them may contain information that is subject to exemption(s) from disclosure in accordance with the Act. Should this occur, the department may call for a formal access request to be submitted pursuant to the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Your request for information under the Act must be made in writing by completing an Access/Correction Request Form or by writing a letter. Your written request must be accompanied by a non-refundable $5 application fee. Cheques are to be made payable to the County of Simcoe.
To obtain an Access/Correction Request Form,
- call the County of Simcoe Clerk’s Department at (705) 726-9300
- visit the Customer Service Department of the County’s Administration Centre during regular business hours
- download the Access/Correction Request Form
If you choose to write a letter rather than complete an Access Request form, please include the following information:
- your name
- your full mailing address
- a telephone number where you can be reached during the day
- as much detail as possible as to the specific records (or type of records) you are seeking
Mail or drop-off your completed Access/Correction Request or letter, along with the $5.00 application fee to:
Municipal Freedom of Information Coordinator
County Clerk’s Department
1110 Highway 26
Midhurst, Ontario L9X 1N6
Please note: the following additional fees may apply as per Section 45 of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act:
- Manually searching a record - $7.50 per ¼ hour
- Preparing record for disclosure - $7.50 per ¼ hour
- Photocopying - $0.20 per page
- Computer programming $15.00 - per ¼ hour
- Records on CD ROM - $10.00 for each CD ROM
- Other (invoiced) charges associated with locating, retrieving, processing or copying records
For further information regarding the collection or disclosure of information at the County of Simcoe, please contact the County’s Municipal Freedom of Information Coordinator at 705-726-9300, extension 1246.
Video Surveillance Cameras
Notice of Collection, Use and Disclosure
Residents and visitors to the County of Simcoe should note that the County uses surveillance cameras to aid in protecting property, limiting liability, promoting public safety, ensuring the health and safety for our residents and visitors and supporting law enforcement efforts in reducing and investigating offences.
Legal Authority for the collection of personal information is Section 11 of the Municipal Act, and in accordance with Section 29(1) (f) and (g) of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
A list of all County owned facilities and vehicles that have surveillance cameras installed are listed below:
- Administration Centre
- All social housing buildings
- All Ontario Works offices
- All long term care homes
- All waste management facilities
- All LINX and LINX+ transit vehicles (includes audio recordings in the vehicles)
- All line painting and pilot vehicles
If you have any questions or concerns about the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information, please contact the County Clerk at 1110 Highway 26, Midhurst or 705-726-9300 ext. 1623.
This Notice will be available in alternate format or with communication support, upon request.