Best Start Initiative is a province-wide expansion of services and supports for children under 6 and their families.
Simcoe County Best Start Network Vision
"All children and families in Simcoe County will have access to the culturally sensitive services needed to reach their full potential within a community that recognizes and meets basic needs: income, housing, nutrition, education and healthy parent/child relationships." (Source: Simcoe County 2008 Best Start Community Plan)
Best Start is designed to give Simcoe County’s children the best possible start in life and help them achieve success in school.
The Best Start Network is dedicated to creating a comprehensive integrated system of services that support families with children from birth through the transition into school.
This system works to:
- support parents to access services and information easily and in a coordinated manner
- assist parents to support their children
- assist children in Simcoe County to be ready to learn and succeed when they start school
- assist with the transition from preschool through JK/SK to Grade 1 as smooth, seamless and successful as possible for children and their families
- support the development and availability of high quality early learning and care
help parents by providing a variety of parenting supports
- help identify and provide support to children 0-6 years of age
- build on partnerships in communities including all levels of government
- support initiatives that are helping families access basic needs
To achieve this objective, the Best Start Network supports the development of an integrated system of services for children and families that is seamless and responsive to local community needs. This system serves:
- Children through coordination of services that support readiness to learn and the transition to school
- Parents through collaboration among providers in the delivery of information, services and resources
- Partnerships through emphasis on collaborative process and application of best available practices in service planning and delivery
The Best Start Network reports to the Child, Youth and Family Services Coalition of Simcoe County through the Planning Table. The Network coordinated the collaboration of committees serving children and families through Best Start Network to the Children, Youth and Families Services Coalition of Simcoe County. Such committees are:
- The Early Intervention Council
- The Simcoe County Child Care Committee
- Raising the Bar on Quality Child Care Advisory
- The Special Needs Enhancement Steering Committee
- The Best Start Professional Development Committee
- The Early Identification Committee
- The Best Start Parent Network
0-6 Community Services Interactive Map (Best Start)
A comprehensive map is available on the County of Simcoe web site under Best Start. This map will help you locate community services for families with children up to 6 years old. There are a number of topic areas to help guide you to the appropriate services.
Map: 0-6 Community Services Interactive Map (Best Start)
For further information please contact Lora D'Ambrosio at 705-722-3132 or 905-729-4514 ext. 1128 or by email at