Sign In
Skip Navigation LinksSimcoe County > Departments > Transportation and Engineering > Permits and Fees

Permits and Fees

​Oversize/Overweight Load Moving Permit Dimensions

The following limits are stipulated under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) for the Height, Width and Length of Vehicles which can operate on highways without a special permit. An Excess Load Moving Permit is required if the vehicle and load are greater than these dimensions:

Height 4.15 m (13.6 ft)
Width 2.6 m (8.5 ft)
Length—Regular 12.5 m (41.0 ft)
Length--Semi-trailer 14.65 m (48.0 ft)
Length--Combination of Vehicles Coupled Together 23.0 m (75.5 ft)

It is assumed that all vehicles will have legal weight under the HTA as it is too difficult to determine the combination of axle weights that may apply. If a person knows that they are over weight, they must supply a complete axle weight diagram showing the weights per axle or axle combination.

The weights and dimensions are found under section 109 and 110 of the Highway Traffic Act.

Excess Load/Size Permit Application Form

Reduced Load Restrictions

Credit Card Payment Authorization Form


Fees for Single and Annual Permits

The Corporation of the County of Simcoe has a By-law pertaining to fees charged for oversize/overweight permits.

Permit Fees:

  • Single Move $50.00
  • Annual/Special Annual $300

Payment of Annual/Special Annual permit fees must be made prior to the permit being issued.  Single permit fees will be invoiced to you by our Finance Department. Failure to pay the fee shall result in the permit being cancelled and further permits not being issued until the outstanding payment is received.

Payment is accepted in the form of cash, cheque, or money orders only and should be made payable to The Corporation of the County of Simcoe at the following address:

The Corporation of the County of Simcoe
Transportation and Engineering Department
1110 Highway 26
Midhurst, ON L9X 1N6

Receipts will be issued upon payment.
The terms and conditions stated in the Permit Application will be strictly adhered to.


Entrance Permits

An entrance permit is required prior to the construction of a new entrance, the alteration or reclassification to an existing entrance. Guidelines can be found in the County Entrance By-law.

Entrance Permit Application

Entrance By-Law 5544 

Credit Card Payment Authorization Form

Entrances onto County Road 90 are also subject to Controlled Access By-Law 4396.


Road Occupancy Permits

*** Please note as of September 1st, 2010 there is now a fee for a Road Occupancy Permit.  $100 for a minor ROP and $500 for a major ROP***

Prior to any work within the County Road right of way a Road Occupancy Permit must be obtained from the County of Simcoe Transportation and Engineering Department.  The following are general conditions of the road occupancy permit and are subject to change.

  • A certificate of insurance must be provided with the County of Simcoe named as co-insured and held harmless in the event of accidents.
  • All staff shall wear safety equipment AT ALL TIMES including hard hats, reflective vests, and safety boots while on the County road allowance.
  • The County does not permit full closure of any County Road without approval from the County of Simcoe Transportation Construction Manager.
  • The ditches, shoulders, and travelled surface, must be restored to its original condition.
  • All damage disruption or removal of existing works such as curb, sidewalk, etc. related to the work activity shall be reinstated by the applicant to current County Standards. All road repairs will be financial responsibility of the Applicant.
  • No asphalt surfaces shall be cut. Crossings being bored must be augured.  The use of a pneumatic torpedo is not permitted.
  • Execute traffic plan in accordance with Book 7 of the Ontario Traffic Manual.
  • Disturbed areas shall be graded to direct drainage away from County Road.
  • Please be advised the applicant is responsible for obtaining any approvals which may be necessary for the above noted works which may include: the Utilities, Local Municipalities, Ministry of Natural Resources, Local Conservation Authorities, etc.  The County will require the submission of any permits required as a result of the above noted works.
  • Major - For all applications covered under a Municipal Access Agreement (MMA) or a Municipal Consent Agreement (MC) or require occupation of the right-of-way for great than 5 days.
  • Minor - For all other work not covered under a Major ROP or require occupation of the right-of-way for less than 5 days.

Road Occupancy Permit Application

Credit Card Payment Authorization Form