Interactive mapping applications provide an easy way to find, access and view information.
211 Community Services mapping tool is an interactive map with information in English and French for 4,000+ community, health, social and government services available to individuals and families in Simcoe County.
How it works:
The map pairs 211 community services data with a GIS system to enable specialized search criteria including a main category, subcategories and optional age categories.
Sub-categories include but are not limited to:
- Rent & Housing Assistance (Under Financial Assistance)
- Addiction Counselling / Treatment (Under Mental Health/Addictions)
- Social Assistance (Under Financial Assistance)
- Food Banks (Under Food)
- Income Tax Clinics (Under Financial Assistance)
Service locations appear on the map as red dots:
- Click each location to display the organization name, description, and a website link.
- Click the view details link to display information on the complete services provided by the organization, including eligibility, hours of service, accessibility, contact information, languages provided and service fees.
The information is digitally pulled from the community services database maintained by Community Connection for the 211 Ontario Network. Information is updated at a minimum of once a year by Certified Data Curators who have expertise in gathering, organizing, indexing, and disseminating information about human service programs and the organizations that provide them. Agencies can also suggest updates at anytime on the 211 webpage.
How it can be used:
This map can be used by service providers when face to face with clients or shared virtually. This map is also available for public use.
Examples of use:
- Find services near by
- Calculating distance of mapped services to specific addresses
- Sharable: Printing, e-mail, social media
- User update suggestions
How it came to be:
This project builds upon several mapping projects with Community Connection that began in 2015.
About Community Connection/211:
Community Connection is an information and referral organization located in Collingwood. Their work is to help people find and access essential services through helplines and online directories.
Community Connection delivers services through the national, bilingual, 24/7 helpline 211, in person walk-in assistance, online search, chat, text and email, as well as other specialized phone lines and online directories.
A database of community services is used by Community Connection's Navigators to locate essential services for callers in need of income assistance, community health services, housing and utilities programs, mental health support, transportation and food hampers.
The database of community services in Simcoe County is maintained by a long-standing partnership Community Connection has with other community information and referral organizations.
Need more help? Community Connection is here to help: www.infosimcoecounty.ca