The County of Simcoe is proposing to construct a roundabout at the intersection of County Road 53 (Wilson Drive) and Carson Road/Seadon Road, in the Township of Springwater.
The project commenced in 2018 and is following a Municipal Class A+ Environmental Assessment, pre-approved project. Consideration was given to both traffic signal and roundabout options. The roundabout option is preferred based on traffic and safety improvements.
To learn about the many additional benefits of roundabouts, visit our Roundabouts page.
About the project
County Road 53 will be widened to provide two lanes approaching the roundabout from the north and south approaches. Carson Road will have two westbound lanes and one eastbound lane. Seadon Road will have one eastbound lane and one westbound lane. The roundabout will have two circulatory lanes on all legs except on the south leg where it has only one lane.
- A flashing beacon was installed at the intersection in 2020 as an interim measure.
- Property acquisitions for the roundabout and road widening were completed by the County in 2021.
- A stage 3 Archaeological Investigation was recently completed this year.
- A Geotechnical Investigation is currently underway.
- The detailed design of the roundabout is to be finalized this year.
- A Site Preparation contract (tree clearing and fence relocations) will commence this fall.
- Utility relocations are planned to commence following the Site Prep contract and will continue into 2022.
- Construction of the roundabout is planned for 2022/2023.
The trees that are located along the south side of Seadon, adjacent to the cemetery, are located on private property. The roundabout alignment has been shifted northeast of the existing intersection to avoid impacts to the cemetery.
The County will install a speed radar display board in the coming weeks to assist in speed reduction at this location.
For more information on adapting to roundabouts, visits our dedicated Roundabouts