Place your GREEN CART OUT WEEKLY on your regular collection day by 7 am!
Proper set out is important to ensure the mechanical arm can grab your cart efficiently. To ensure collection, place your cart:
- with arrows facing the street (handles towards your house)
- 2 feet apart from other cart or any other object
- within 8 feet from the travelled portion of the road
- with lids closed (do not overstuff - see below under overflow instructions)
See below for more important cart information:
- Organics carts have a gravity-locking lid (if you have issues with animals/wildlife getting into your waste carts, *leave in the locked position, it will open automatically when dumped)
- To see a full list of what is acceptable in your organics cart click here
- For occasional overflow material that does not fit in your cart, place material in green bin (2 feet apart from cart or any other object)
- Old green bins can be repurposed for occasional overflow or used to contain household items like pet food or sidewalk salt
*if you do not have concerns with wildlife/pests, leaving your cart in the unlocked position will actually prolong the lifespan of your cart
for more info on carts (including storage & maintenance tips) what to do if your cart is damaged and information about cart exchanges.
More info about organics:
- Discard plastic packaging from food first and place in your kitchen bin
- Empty kitchen bin often (into organics cart) and rinse to prevent insects and odours
- Use paper or certified compostable bags, when buying the bags, look for these symbols:
- Pet waste, kitty litter, and animal bedding belongs in your green cart! Please bag your pet waste material using paper or certified compostable bags.
Pet waste should be put into the organics cart as the high technology processing system utilized by the County can safely manage pet waste. Please do not place pet waste in a backyard composter or directly apply to gardens as it contains bacteria. The backyard composting process does not reach the temperatures required to kill harmful bacteria.
Learn more about our proposed Organics Processing Facility
Can't find an item? Search our Waste Wizard
To see your customized collection schedule and receive notifications directly download the free Simcoe County Collects app: