Our Green Bin Grows Again!
Pet waste, kitty litter, and animal bedding is now accepted in the green bin! Please bag your pet waste material in certified compostable bags. Look for these symbols:
No plastic or bio-degradable bags.
The maximum weight limit per container applies (20 kg / 44 lb) If necessary, purchase a second green bin from a County Waste Facility for $15.
For a full list of acceptable items click here.
Pet waste should be put into the green bin as the high technology processing system utilized by the County can safely manage pet waste. Don't place pet waste in a backyard composter or directly apply to gardens as it contains bacteria. The backyard composting process does not reach the temperatures required to kill harmful bacteria.
Keep organics out of the garbage
- Put your mini bin on the counter or under the sink to keep it handy.
- Remove unacceptable plastic packaging from food and place food scraps in the mini bin.
- Empty the contents every other day
- Place your securely latched large green bin beside your garbage at the curb by 7 a.m. on your collection day.
To determine acceptable and unacceptable organic materials, please check:
Don't know where things go?
Green Bin Guide
- Remove plastic packaging from food and place food scraps in the mini bin.
- Empty mini bin frequently and rinse to prevent insects and odours, use certified compostable liners or freeze material between pickups.
- Place securely-latched green bin at the curb by 7 a.m. on your collection day. Maximum limit per container is 20 kg (44 lbs).
Plastic bags are not permitted in the green bin. Instead use paper or certified compostable bags, when buying the bags, look for
Learn more about our proposed Organics Processing Facility