Currently, the County hauls organics (i.e. food waste) to a processing facility in Elmira, Ontario each day. With the construction of the Environmental Resource Recovery Centre (ERRC), all organics would be processed within the County. The project has many benefits including, but not limited to, the following:
- Reduced Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions from reducing the amount of transportation outside of the County
- Reduced costs associated with hauling
- Processing costs would be predictable, and there would not be concerns with ensuring capacity at external processing facilities for County materials
- Creation of more than 100 direct and indirect local jobs in construction, the trades and waste management
- Potential revenues from the sale of biogas and/or finished products
The ERRC will house an Organics Processing Facility (OPF), a Materials Management Facility for the transfer of garbage, and a Public Education Centre.
The Environmental Resource Recovery Centre will be located at 2976 Horseshoe Valley Road West, Springwater.
(March 3, 2023)
The County will be bringing a report to County Council in 2023, for Council's decision on design specifications for the ERRC.
Please refer back to this page for more details later in 2023.