The County of Simcoe adopted a Solid Waste Management Strategy in 2010 that provides the framework for the County's waste disposal options and diversion programs. Guided by the Strategy, and following further recommendations from Council, the County initiated a siting process in 2014 to identify a site for the development of an Organics Processing Facility (OPF) for the long-term processing of source-separated organics (SSO). The siting process was subsequently expanded to also identify a site for the development of a Materials Management Facility (MMF) for the transfer of garbage, recyclables, and SSO. Collectively, these facilities are referred to as the Environmental Resource Recovery Centre (ERRC).
Following an extensive site evaluation process, which considered 502 candidate sites, County Council selected the property located at 2976 Horseshoe Valley Road in the Township of Springwater within Lot 2, Concession 1, as the preferred site. The subject lands are approximately 84 hectares (207.6 acres) in size and the approximate footprint of the ERRC is estimated at 4.5 hectares (11.12 acres).
The County is proposing to amend its Official Plan to facilitate the development of the ERRC. Other related planning applications (Official Plan Amendment & Zoning Bylaw Amendment) have also been submitted to the Township of Springwater and are currently subject to the Township's planning review process. More specific information on the proposed planning amendments can be found in the Planning Justification Report listed below.
The Ministry has received three appeals to its Decision to approve County Official Plan Amendment No. 2 (ERRC). The LPAT will need to confirm that all of the Notices of Appeal are valid, assign a LPAT Case and File Number and case coordinator. This page will be updated when this information is received.
County Staff Report:
Schedule 1 to CCW 2019-058 - Location Map
Schedule 2 to CCW 2019-058 - MMAH Decision
Schedule 3 to CCW 2019-058 - Appeals
Notice of Decision
Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing Cover Letter
Signed Decision including Ministry Modifications
2018-2019 Groundwater Monitoring Update
Compensation Planting Plan
Notice of Adoption
OPA No. 2
Adopting By-law No. 6754
Planning Staff Report - CCW 2018-320
Schedule 1 to CCW 2018-320
Schedule 2 to CCW 2018-320
Schedule 3 to CCW 2018-320
Schedule 4 to CCW 2018-320
Appendices of Schedule 4 to CCW 2018-320
Schedule 5 to CCW 2018-320
Schedule 6 to CCW 2018-320
Schedule 7 to CCW 2018-320
Schedule 8 to CCW 2018-320
Schedule 9 to CCW 2018-320
Schedule 10 to CCW 2018-320
Schedule 11 to CCW 2018-320
In response to agency and public comments, the County Planning Department has received updated studies/addendums in support of the proposed amendment. A cover letter is provided for each describing the reasoning for additional or amended documentation. For reference, summary tables are also provided outlining agency comments received.
The following documents have been provided in support of the applications:
- Amended Planning Justification Report prepared by GHD dated February 2018
- Amended Scoped Environmental Impact Study prepared by GHD dated February 1, 2018
- Amended Facilities Characteristic Report prepared by GHD dated February 1, 2018
- Updated Hydrogeological Assessment prepared by GHD dated February 1, 2018
- Geotechnical Investigation prepared by GHD dated November 30, 2017
- Traffic Impact Study Addendum prepared by MMM Group dated October 2017
- Cultural Heritage Resource Assessment: Built Heritage Resources and Cultural Heritage Landscapes prepared by ASI revised November 2017
- Letter from GHD dated November 29, 2017 providing correspondence from the Ministry of Tourism, Sport and Culture confirming acceptance of Stage 3 Site Specific Archaeological Assessment dated July 12, 2017
The following plans, reports and studies - as outlined in a cover letter prepared by GHD for the County of Simcoe - have been prepared in support of the applications:
- Locational Plan prepared by GHD Limited dated November 17, 2016
- Conceptual Site Plan Figure 3.1 prepared by GHD Limited dated November 15, 2016;
- Planning Justification Report prepared by GHD Limited dated November 17, 2016;
- Scoped Environmental Impact Study prepared by GHD Limited dated November 17, 2016 (includes Hazard Lands Assessment);
- Agricultural Impact Assessment Report for the Proposed Environmental Resource Recovery Centre (ERRC) prepared by AgPlan Limited dated November 16, 2016;
- Facility Characteristics Report prepared by GHD Limited dated November 17, 2016 (includes Stormwater Management, Noise & Odour, Functional Servicing components);
- Cultural Heritage Resource Assessment: Built Heritage Resources and Cultural Heritage Landscapes, Existing Conditions – Impact Assessment prepared by ASI Archaeological & Cultural Heritage Services dated August 2016 (Revised November 2016);
- Stage 1 & 2 Archaeological Assessment Simcoe Environmental Resource Recovery Centre prepared by ASI Archaeological & Cultural Heritage Services dated November 16, 2016;
- Ontario Public Register of Archaeological Reports - Stage 3
- Stage 3 Site Specific Assessment Simcoe Environmental Resource Recovery Centre Gribbin Site (BdGw-49) ORIGINAL REPORT prepared by ASI Archaeological & Cultural Heritage Services dated November 11, 2016;
- Stage 3 Site Specific Assessment Simcoe Environmental Resource Recovery Centre Gribbin Site (BdGw-49) SUPPLEMENTARY DOCUMENTATION prepared by ASI Archaeological & Cultural Heritage Services dated November 11, 2016;
- Traffic Impact Study prepared by MMM Group dated November 2016;
- Hydrogeological Assessment Environmental Resource Recovery Centre (ERRC) prepared by GHD Limited dated November 15, 2016;
- Summary of Consultation and Notification (to December 2016).
- Buffer Distances (100m intervals)
- Draft Official Plan Amendment
- Project Update Staff Report CCW-17-174 (June 13, 2017)
In accordance with Section 17(15) of the Planning Act, the County will circulate relevant information to prescribed public bodies, government ministries, regulatory authorities and Aboriginal communities, for their review and comment.
The County of Simcoe held the statutory public meeting on May 9, 2017. Comments received from members of the public and agencies to date are posted below. Further public and agency comments will be added from time to time.
Agency Comments (Posted May 23, 2017)
Agency Comments (Posted May 22, 2018)
Public Comments 1 (Posted May 19, 2017)
Public Comments 2 (Posted May 19, 2017)
Public Comments 3 (Posted May 19, 2017)
Public Comments 4 (Posted May 31, 2017)
Public Comments 5 (Posted July 18, 2017)
May 9, 2017 Public Meeting: Meeting Minutes (Posted July 14, 2017)
May 9, 2017 Public Meeting: Public Transcript (Posted July 14, 2017)
Public Comments 6 (Posted August 10, 2017)
Public Comments 7 (Posted January 9, 2018)
Public Comments 8 (Posted May 7, 2018)
Questions regarding the applications and/or the forthcoming Planning process can be e-mailed directly to the County's Planning Department at email@example.com or by contacting Customer Service at (705) 735-6901.