Georgian Manor is a fully accredited Long Term Care Home. Through the acquisition of the vacant General Hospital property Georgian Manor was first established in the town of Penetanguishene by the County of Simcoe. Penetanguishene General Hospital had just completed the construction of a new facility and their original building, a large old home, was no longer needed. The County, in 1957, added a two level addition to the old hospital to accommodate 52 senior citizens. The first resident was admitted to the Manor on July 1, 1957.
It was soon realized that the demand for seniors' accommodation was greater than the supply. In 1961, the original hospital portion of the home was replaced by a new service component, kitchen, laundry, dining room, activity space, and a bedroom wing to accommodate an additional 45 seniors. Space was also provided for live-in accommodation for 5 staff persons.
In 1971, a second addition was completed. This provided a large auditorium, chapel, library, games and craft room, as well as a "Senior Citizens Centre" for the use of Manor residents, together with local senior citizens organizations. Next, approval was received to convert the staff accommodation to residential accommodation for four. With this change, the Manor reached occupancy of 105.
In the late 1980's approval was given, with an extensive retrofit to add 2 more respite or short stay beds to increase the Manor's occupancy to 107. This retrofit was officially completed in July 1990. The main dining room was enlarged, a maintenance shop and expanded laundry facilities were added. A fifth floor was added providing staff facilities, storage and a link to Penetanguishene General Hospital (PGH). The link to PGH provided the residents with easy access to their laboratory and diagnostic services. In return, PGH was able to utilize the auditorium for larger meetings.
In 2000, a Georgian Manor feasibility study was completed and revised in 2004. In 2006, the County of Simcoe obtained approval for redevelopment of Georgian Manor to meet the 1998 Design Standards for the existing 107 beds classified at a “B” level of structural compliance. It was determined that it would be more cost-effective to build a brand new home. In 2009-2010, the County received funding approval from Ministry of Municipal Affairs & Housing and the Ministry of Health & Long Term Care as well as approval to build 36 additional beds from North Simcoe Muskoka Local Health Integrated Networks. Construction of the Georgian Village campus began with the ground breaking in 2011.
Georgian Village Campus opened its doors to its first long-term care residents on Tuesday, October 15, 2013. Georgian Manor is a fully accredited Long-Term Care facility featuring 146 state-of-the-art, sunlit beds with well appointed central dining and activity rooms, rooftop gardens, tub/spa and shower rooms, quiet family rooms, wellness centre, library and resource centre and much more. Georgian Manor has a long track record of excellent care and service and boasts proudly of being an integral part of the community.
The programs and services of the Manor are regulated by the Residential Services Branch of the Ontario Ministry of Health. The Manor is "accredited" by Accreditation Canada and is a full member of the Ontario Association of Non-Profit Homes and Services for Seniors.