Simcoe Manor Family Council, 5988 8th Line, Beeton, ON, L0G 1A0
"Other things may change, but we start and end with family."
Meeting Schedule: The first Wednesday of every month 3:00pm-4:30pm.
A Microsoft TEAMS meeting invitation will be sent to families and friends interested in attending.
Co-Chair: Susan Calder; Staff Liaison: Rosa Athanassoulis
Contact Information: Rosa.Athanassoulis@simcoe.ca or (905) 729-2267 Ext. 5080, Email: Simcoemanorfamilycouncil@gmail.com
Family Council Meeting Minutes
- Simcoe Manor Family Council Meeting - July 5, 2023
- Simcoe Manor Family Council Meeting - May 3, 2023
- Simcoe Manor Family Council Meeting - April 12, 2023
- Simcoe Manor Family Council Meeting - March 1, 2023
- Simcoe Manor Family Council Meeting - February 1, 2023
- Simcoe Manor Family Council Meeting - January 11, 2023
- Simcoe Manor Family Council Meeting - December 7, 2022
- Simcoe Manor Family Council Meeting - November 2, 2022
- Simcoe Manor Family Council Meeting - August 3, 2022
Simcoe Manor Family Council Meeting - July 13, 2022
Simcoe Manor Family Council Meeting - June 1, 2022
- Simcoe Manor Family Council Meeting - April 6, 2022
Simcoe Manor Family Council Meeting - March 2, 2022
- Simcoe Manor Family Council Meeting - February 2, 2022
- Simcoe Manor Family Council Meeting - January 5, 2022
What is Family and Friends Council?
The creation of family councils in long-term care homes across Ontario is the result of an initiative by the Concerned Friends of Ontario Citizens in 1988. The increasing number of residents with some form of dementia, who are unable to participate meaningfully in Resident Councils and speak for themselves, underscore this need to develop autonomous Family Councils.
Who can be a member?
If you are a friend or relative of a resident of Simcoe Manor, you are welcome to join the Family Council as a Member. We also encourage relatives and friends of a deceased resident to continue their active membership, and to provide the benefit of their knowledge and experience.
I am not a member of Family Council, may I still attend a meeting?
Of course! All family and friends of Simcoe Manor residents may attend meetings at any time. Please feel free to join us, even if you can only stay a short while.
When and where do we meet?
Virtual Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of each month with the exception of July, August, and December, or unless an additional meeting is required. Meetings commence at 3:00 p.m., via TEAMS (invite is emailed prior to meeting). Meetings typically last 1.5 (one and a half) hours. Notice will be posted on the Family Council Bulletin website www.simcoe.ca.
What does Family Council do?
By promoting an atmosphere of caring and support among Simcoe Manor staff, family and friends, we believe we can achieve our goals.
- Educate and inform families and friends;
- Problem solve by sharing ideas;
- Maintain two-way communication between family, friends and Simcoe Manor staff;
- Advocate for residents and their families; and,
- Provide support for friends and family, including new Simcoe Manor residents.
How do we assist new families?
Family Council will request your permission to have our Welcome Committee contact you shortly after your loved one has been admitted. They will provide you with tips on settling them in, tell you about community partners (e.g. Alzheimer’s Society, physiotherapy services, etc.) and direct you to helpful information such as newsletters and activity calendars.
What are some examples of what has been accomplished?
Simcoe Manor Family Council was recently formed at the beginning of 2016, and has been meeting monthly. We have elected Council members, completed a Mission Statement, produced an information brochure, and created a website for family members to visit to keep them informed of what Family and Friends Council is doing for their loved ones. Various issues affecting residents in general were raised for discussion.
How family members and friends stay informed
- The Family Council Bulletin Board is located in the main hallway leading from theadministration offices towards the elevator.
- The agenda for the next meeting will also beposted a few days before the meeting.
- A Family Council photo with names will also be posted to allow family members and friends to recognize council members.
Click on the links below to view or