All 2023 Student Bursary recipients have been notified.
Please check back in the spring for details on the 2024 Student Bursary program.
In 2023, the County partnered with all 16 member municipalities to offer 16 bursaries that are jointly funded ($2,000 from the County, $1,000 from the member municipality). The County received a record number of applications, which were anonymized and independently reviewed by members of the Bursary Committee. Congratulations to:
- Haley Lundy, Township of Adjala-Tosorontio
- Michaela Warman, Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury
- Justin Rowbotham, Township of Clearview
- Taylor Mather, Town of Collingwood
- Julia Mancuso, Township of Essa
- Briar Cryderman, Town of Innisfil
- Audrey Gignac, Town of Midland
- Demarco Smith, Township of New Tecumseth
- Colleen McElroy, Township of Oro-Medonte
- Alexa Weatherell, Town of Penetanguishene
- Franchi Torchia, Township of Ramara
- Abigail Austin, Township of Severn
- Katy Fairbairn, Township of Springwater
- Patricia Roussel, Township of Tay
- Chloe Eakley, Township of Tiny
- Dana Cogswell, Town of Wasaga Beach
In addition, the County is providing five bursaries that are fully funded by the County. Congratulations to:
- Emma Robitaille, Town of Midland
- Sydney Bosse, Township of New Tecumseth
- Keith Greenhalgh, Township of Oro-Medonte
- Emma Wilson, Township of Springwater
- Renee Ferlito, Township of Tay
Best of luck in your studies!
About the Bursary Program
The County of Simcoe is committed to working with member municipalities to support the pursuit of higher education. Through the County's long-standing Education Bursary Program, twenty-one $3,000 bursaries are available to County of Simcoe students attending a post-secondary institution in Canada. One bursary is guaranteed for a resident of each participating member municipality.
For the first time, bursaries are now available to Simcoe County students entering any year of a post-secondary education anywhere in Canada. Part-time students are also now eligible for a bursary.
The Bursary Program provides those residents accepted into the program with financial assistance to access post-secondary education and training. This program is consistent with the County of Simcoe's commitment to education, as well as encouraging community involvement and civic responsibility.
For the second year running, the County is partnering with Georgian College to offer local students additional financial support. Georgian College is offering an additional $1,500 for up to five students attending their institution who receive a student bursary through the County of Simcoe. Subject to financal need as determined by Georgian College. www.georgiancollege.ca
As part of your application, you will be required to submit supporting documents in addition to your application form.
NEW FOR 2023!
Starting with the 2023 program, eligibility will be expanded to:
- Simcoe County students enrolled at a Post Secondary Institution in Canada (rather than just Ontario)
- Students entering any year of post secondary education (rather than just 1st or 2nd year)
- Full- and part-time students (rather than full-time students only)
Eligible Applicants must reside in Simcoe County, and:
- Be a resident of a participating Simcoe County municipality and a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Have graduated, (or be eligible for graduation in the year of application), with an Ontario Secondary School Diploma in Simcoe County*
- In the year of application, be enrolled and/or commencing studies in an undergraduate program at a Canadian university or college as a full-time or part-time student
- Demonstrate interest in, and contribution to, their community through active participation in extracurricular activities at their school and/or in community organizations
* Diploma must be through an accredited institution. Includes some home-schooling programs, such as the Independent Learning Centre or the Virtual Learning Centre.
- Township of Adjala-Tosorontio
- Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury
- Township of Clearview
- Town of Collingwood
- Township of Essa
- Town of Innisfil
- Town of Midland
- Town of New Tecumseth
- Township of Oro-Medonte
- Township of Penetanguishene
- Township of Ramara
- Township of Severn
- Township of Springwater
- Township of Tay
- Township of Tiny
- Town of Wasaga Beach
- Applicants must submit an online application by July 28, 2023
- As part of the application, the County of Simcoe requires the applicant to submit a 750-word essay on a pre-determined topic.
- Applicants must also provide a copy of their Grade 12 or most recent post-secondary transcript and proof of enrollment at a Canadian University or College in an undergraduate program as a full-time or part-time student (tuition receipt, proof of enrollment letter etc.)
As part of your application, you will be required to submit supporting documents.
Essay Question: In 750 words or less, describe:
- the achievement of which you are most proud; and
- your active participation in extracurricular activities at your school and/or community organization(s)
Required Supporting Documents:
- Grade 12 Simcoe County High School Transcript or most recent Post-Secondary Transcript
- Proof of enrollment at a Canadian University or College in an undergraduate program as a full-time or part-time student (tuition receipt, proof of enrollment letter etc.)
*Note: A letter of acceptance is not considered proof of enrollment.
- Essay Question Response
Optional Supporting Documents:
For questions and information, please contact
Notice of Collection/Use/Disclosure: Personal information is collected in this application pursuant to Section 8 and 11 of the Municipal Act and will be used for the purpose of the Bursary Program. Successful applicants names will be made public and used in municipal publications. In the event that a successful applicant is enrolled at Georgian College, personal information will be shared with that institution to facilitate the issuing of Georgian College bursary. Questions about the collection of personal information should be directed to the County Clerk's Office, County of Simcoe Administration Centre, 1110 Highway 26, Midhurst, Ontario L9X 1N6, 705-726-9300 ext. 1246.