Midhurst/August 14, 2019 – The County continues to experience impacts to curbside waste collection services and is now taking further steps to get waste materials off the streets.
In addition to prioritizing garbage and organics to minimize collection misses of these materials, the County has brought in additional contractors to assist in the collection of recycling. Due to this shift in resources and the high priority placed on the collection of garbage, organics and recycling by our residents, County Council voted to cancel this year's curbside collection of electronics, which had been scheduled to occur from September 16 through 27, to allow more resources to focus on the collection of garbage, organics and recycling materials through the end of September.
“This decision was not taken lightly by Council or staff," said Warden George Cornell. “We pride ourselves in providing a high level of service and innovative and convenient waste collection programs to our residents. Hearing from our residents the importance of garbage, organics and recycling pick ups, we have taken the necessary action to prioritize these services. We apologize for the inconvenience and please know that staff and Council are working hard to ensure that our contractor meets our service expectations."
Residents are reminded that electronics can be dropped off at a County waste management facility free of charge at any time throughout the year during regular operating hours.
These actions are being taken since the County's contractor, Waste Connections, continues to experience challenges with staffing due to labour shortages, drivers reaching their maximum legally permitted hours to operate, and increased summer waste volumes. These issues are compounded by the heat and humidity, among other factors. The best way to receive information in real time is through the new Simcoe County Collects app, which can be downloaded from the Apple Store or Google Play free of charge.
What residents need to know for August and September:
1. Materials should be set out at your curb by 7 a.m. on your collection day and left until 8 p.m. as routes are being adjusted
2. We are prioritizing the collection of garbage and green bin organics in order to reduce odour and animal impacts. Crews may return the next day for collection of garbage and organics if missed on your regular day, so please place these items back at the curb by 7 a.m. the following day
3. We expect further recycling collection misses. If recycling is missed, please bring recycling materials in from the curb for double collection on your next regularly scheduled day unless otherwise directed (see point 4 below)
4. In some instances, recycling collection crews will be sent out to zones which have been missed on alternate service days including Saturdays as resources allow. Alerts to these alternate service days will be posted through the County's channels:
- Simcoe County Collects app (available free of charge at Google Play or the Apple Store)
- Through Twitter (@simcoecountycs, @simcoecounty) Facebook (@CountyofSimcoe)
5. If missed, residents are encouraged to utilize cardboard boxes, plastic storage boxes, and blue or clear plastic bags for overflow recyclables. As always, to reduce issues with odours and contamination of recyclables, cans, bottles and cartons should be rinsed
6. Curbside electronics collection has been cancelled for 2019. As always, electronic materials can be dropped off free of charge at any County waste management facility during regular operating hours. Our new Simcoe County Collects app features information on all our waste management facilities, including their locations and operating hours
County of Simcoe is composed of sixteen member municipalities and provides crucial public services to County residents in addition to providing paramedic and social services to the separated cities of Barrie and Orillia. Visit our website at simcoe.ca.
- 30 -
Public Relations Consultant
County of Simcoe, Service Simcoe Branch
705-726-9300 ext. 1030
Manager, Public Relations
County of Simcoe, Service Simcoe Branch
705-726-9300 ext. 1430