Midhurst/October 1, 2021 – October 1, 2021 is National Manufacturing Day, a day dedicated to highlighting the benefits of modern manufacturing careers and inspiring the next generation of manufacturers. On National Manufacturing Day, the County of Simcoe is promoting the significance of our manufacturing sector as a source of employment for thousands of residents, a cornerstone of our regional economy, an outstanding example of local innovation and entrepreneurship, and a tremendous source of pride.
“Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, local businesses have come together to support our residents and meet regional, provincial, national and even global needs," said Warden Cornell. “Manufacturing Day is an opportunity to recognize their hard work, innovation and dedication. We're proud of our manufacturing sector and everything that they have accomplished during this challenging period. Through our Economic Development Office, we continue to work with area partners and businesses to support our continued growth and identify solutions to match our labour force with local job opportunities."
The County of Simcoe's Economic Development Office, with assistance from other County departments, has worked with regional partners including member municipalities, the Cities of Barrie and Orillia, Georgian College and Lakehead University on a number of initiatives to support and promote local businesses that are offering rewarding opportunities in the hopes of inspiring workers to explore careers in Simcoe County's innovative manufacturing sector. Key initiatives include:
- Work in Simcoe County is a one-stop shop featuring local jobs, resources and career exploration tools. The site includes thousands of local jobs, including many in the manufacturing sector. The website also includes career exploration tools for the manufacturing sector via the Simcoe County, Barrie and Orillia Edge Factor hub. This is a free tool for local job seekers, parents and educators with activities for various science, technology, engineering, arts and math careers, including a focus on the skilled trades. https://workinsimcoecounty.ca/jobs/.
Eligible companies, including manufacturers, can create a free profile, which is a great way to showcase your company and opportunities to students in 25 area high schools. Visit https://workinsimcoecounty.ca/explore-careers/ to build a profile today.
- Made in Simcoe County highlights manufacturing success stories, including world-class companies such as Sensor Technology Inc. in Collingwood, Raytheon ELCAN in Midland and DECAST Ltd. in Essa Township, to name a few.
- Work in Simcoe County Virtual Job Fairs – Save the Date! The County and area partners will be hosting another virtual job fair in collaboration with member municipalities, the Cities of Barrie and Orillia, Georgian College, Lakehead University and Employment Ontario on November 9, 2021.
- Promotion of Research and Innovation Projects – through initiatives such as the Automation Accelerator Program, area companies can collaborate with Georgian College and/or Lakehead University to support your company's industry 4.0 journey.
- Shifting Gears E-Newsletter is available to local manufactures for free and provides ongoing, concise and exclusive manufacturing updates in the region. Subscribe to the newsletter brought to you by regional manufacturing partners.
- The "Ask an Expert" Series features experts presenting on topics of interest assisting businesses and organizations during the COVID-19 pandemic. A partnership with The County of Simcoe, the Small Business Centre of Barrie, Simcoe County and Orillia, South Georgian Bay Small Business Enterprise Centre, Orillia Area Community Development Corporation, Nottawasaga Futures, North Simcoe Community Futures Development Corporation and the Centre for Business and Economic Development, the series has featured 21 Ask an Expert Sessions since the start of the pandemic. The next session on October 6 focuses on vaccine certification requirements and best practices for businesses.
- Manufacturers Forums – Annually, the County brings together manufacturers from across the region to hear from experts, learn about sector developments, and engage in B2B networking.
To support local manufacturers, the EDO is also encouraging local industry and stakeholders to nominate local #MadeInSimcoeCounty manufacturers and retailers for the new Ontario Made awards program. The purpose is to recognize your contributions to increasing the sale and awareness of locally produced goods. Don't miss this opportunity to celebrate local manufacturers and retailers. To learn more, visit https://ontariomade.awardsplatform.com/.
County of Simcoe is composed of sixteen member municipalities and provides crucial public services to County residents in addition to providing paramedic and social services to the separated cities of Barrie and Orillia. Visit our website at simcoe.ca.
- 30 -
Public Relations Consultant
County of Simcoe, Service Simcoe Department
Manager, Public Relations
County of Simcoe, Service Simcoe Department