Midhurst/ April 1, 2021 – Following today's Provincial announcement regarding a provincewide emergency break beginning April 3 for four weeks, the County of Simcoe continues to prioritize and support Public Health efforts, while providing essential services to our residents and communities.
“This is a critical stage in our recovery as the Province has announced that we have now entered our third wave of COVID-19 and the spread of variants in Ontario is rising," said Warden George Cornell. “News of another emergency break is difficult for many of our residents and businesses. However, as the spring weather arrives and we receive good news about the Canadian vaccination program, by continuing to work together and taking action to prevent the spread of COVID-19, we can all look forward to better times in the near future. Please stay safe this Easter weekend, follow Public Health guidelines and continue to take care of your wellbeing."
The Health Unit continues to roll out vaccinations to more residents and age groups across Simcoe County. For details and to schedule a vaccination as an eligible resident, visit https://covid-19.ontario.ca/book-vaccine/. The County echoes Public Health advice that people do not let their guard down over the Easter holidays, regardless of vaccination status. For current SMDHU guidance, go to www.smdhu.org/.
The County of Simcoe continues to provide our essential services that support almost 500,000 residents and approximately 15,000 businesses. We continue to provide up-to-date information on our service impacts on our website, www.simcoe.ca/covid19. A brief summary of our current operations during the emergency break are included below:
CLOSED to the Public:
County Administration Centre (Midhurst)
- The Administration Centre remains closed to the public (excluding the Midhurst Ontario Works office which has a separate entrance and remains open). Staff will continue to serve residents, clients and partners virtually by appointment only
- The Service Simcoe Contact Centre continues with virtual service only at email@example.com or 705-735-6901
Simcoe County Museum
- The facility is closed to the public
- For information on continued virtual programs, visit Museum.Simcoe.ca
Simcoe County Archives
- Building access remains closed to the public during the pandemic
- Staff will continue to provide remote/virtual services to the public and clients. Click here for information
CONTINUED Essential/Critical Services:
Landfills and Curbside Waste Collection
- Landfills are operating on a modified COVID-19 schedule; they are closed Friday, April 2 and Monday, April 5
- No impact to Curbside Waste Collection, and regular collection schedules will continue during the Easter long weekend
- LINX Transit will continue to operate all routes with safety precautions in place
- LINX Transit is not in operation on Friday, April 2; services resume on Monday, April 5. Please go to https://nextlinx.simcoe.ca/ to check our schedules
Ontario Works Offices
- All Ontario Works offices remain open including the office at the Administration Centre in Midhurst, with limited operational functions being supported by designated staffing cohorts
- Clients are encouraged to utilize virtual assistance options to further reduce foot traffic
- Easter holiday hours apply
- The County will also maintain safe operations in Long-Term Care and Seniors Services facilities, Paramedic Services, Economic Development and Tourism, Library Co-operative, Planning, Simcoe County Forests, Transportation and Engineering, roads and plowing services, Lake Simcoe Regional Airport, Social Housing, Local Immigration Services, Children and Community Services, Customer Service, Legislative and Government Services (including virtual Council meetings) and administrative/support departments. Staff will be working remotely where possible and public/client assistance will be by appointment for relevant services.
County of Simcoe is composed of sixteen member municipalities and provides crucial public services to County residents in addition to providing paramedic and social services to the separated cities of Barrie and Orillia. Visit our website at simcoe.ca.
- 30 -
Public Relations Consultant
County of Simcoe, Services Simcoe Branch
Manager, Public Relations
County of Simcoe, Service Simcoe Branch