Acceptance - Positive welcome and belonging
Source: Merriam-Webster (n.d). Definition of acceptance. Retrieved May 11, 2017 from merriam-webster.com.
Forms of Acceptance
1. Self-acceptance: Happiness or satisfaction with one's current self.
2. Social acceptance: Ability to accept differences and diversity in other people or groups or people.
How to Take Safe and Purposeful Action
- Consider multicultural holidays in workplace policies/planning
- Designate a prayer space at work
- Provide cultural competency training to management and frontline staff
- Include immigrants in organization's decision making or planning process (e.g. Board of Directors)
In your community:
- Increase media coverage of immigrant stories and initiatives
- Develop opportunities for seniors to share their stories
- Have multicultural crayons available for children to use in waiting rooms at your local child care centre
- Understand different religions/spiritualties by visiting different local religious organizations
The Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21 has an online story collection to help you look for specific immigrants stories.
Workplace Equity & Diversity Programs.
A cross-cultural training workbook developed by the Peace Corps to help new volunteers acquire the knowledge and skills to work successfully and respectfully in other cultures.
Here Comes Everyone: A resource on teaching in the intercultural classroom from the Alberta Teachers' Association.
“What does it mean to be culturally competent" written by Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants (OCASI) with the support of the Canadian Government.