The year 2008 marked the 150th Anniversary, or Sesquicentennial, of the incorporation of the Town of Collingwood on January 1, 1858. Known previously as Hurontario Mills, and as Hens and Chickens Harbour (after the one large and four small islands in the Bay), it was renamed in 1854 in honour of Admiral Lord Collingwood, a distinguished British naval officer, and a hero at the Battle of Trafalgar.
Originally a milling centre for the sparsely populated farming communities in the area, Collingwood’s role as a centre of shipping and commerce was established with the arrival of the Ontario, Simcoe and Huron (later Northern) Railway in 1855.
In celebration of Collingwood’s first 150 years, we are pleased to present a small selection of photographs of historic Collingwood from the collection of the Simcoe County Archives.
Hurontario Street by night, ca. 1918.
Collingwood fishing fleet in the harbour, ca. 1885
Steel grain boat unloading at the Collingwood Grand Trunk elevator, ca. 1907. Collingwood soon established itself as a commercial hub, and the busy harbour became a centerpiece of the town's identity.
View of steamers in Collingwood Harbour, 1909. Freighters carrying grain and other commodities soon vied for space with passenger and excursion vessels.
View of the Grand Trunk System wharf warehouse and freight office flanked by two steamers, ca 1910.
Side launch of the steamer J. H. G. Hagarty, 1914. She was the last new vessel built by The St. Lawrence and Chicago Steam Navigation Company and continued to operate on the Great Lakes until 1967.
Steamer Royalton in the middle of construction at the Collingwood Shipyards, June 21, 1924.
Hurontario Street, Collingwood, 1882.
Hurontario Street in the depths of winter, ca. 1903.
Hurontario Street looking north, ca. 1910.
Hurontario Street, including the Town Hall and the Gayety Theatre, ca. 1940.
Hurontario Street from above, ca. 1980.
Maple Street looking south, ca. 1910.
Collingwood Public Library, Carnegie building, ca. 1915.
Collingwood Post Office on Hurontario Street, ca. 1910.
The General and Marine Hospital, ca. 1915.
Collingwood Public School, ca. 1907.
Collingwood Collegiate Institute, later Admiral Collingwood Public School when the new collegiate was constructed on Hurontario Street, after 1926.
Interior of Bellman's Drug Store, ca. 1910.
Collingwood Juvenile Hockey Club, 1945-1946.
Collingwood nurses enjoying a meal on a boat, ca. 1920.