We will no longer be supporting IE7 and below as a web browser effective June 1st 2020. Click here for more information.

Sign In
Skip Navigation LinksSimcoe County > Archives > Livingstone Collection - Business and Industry

Livingstone Collection - Business and Industry

  • Barrie Examiner newspaper officeBarrie Examiner newspaper office
    Barrie Examiner newspaper office on the south side of Dunlop Street. The Reform (Liberal) paper was established in 1864. Andrew F. Hunter, author of A History of Simcoe County and editor of the Examiner from 1889-1895, is second from the right.
  • Barrie GazetteBarrie Gazette
    Barrie Gazette newspaper and printing office, on Dunlop Street. near the Station Gore, Sept 1890.
  • CA PerkinsCA Perkins
    CA Perkins was a large retail grocery store in the McCarthy Building that employed three clerks. The shop also rendered leaf lard, the highest grade of pork lard.
  • Barrie Advance and Barrie ExaminerBarrie Advance and Barrie Examiner
    South side of Dunlop Street at Mulcaster Street. The printing offices of the rival newspapers Barrie Advance and Barrie Examiner were adjacent to one another.
  • Frederick Marr Leather Boot and ShoeFrederick Marr Leather Boot and Shoe
    Frederick Marr Leather, Boot, and Shoe store and factory produced leather findings and tools, especially boot and shoe uppers and harness leather.
  • ice harvesting 1ice harvesting 1
    Ice harvesting on Kempenfelt Bay, ca. 1890.
  • ice harvesting 2ice harvesting 2
    Ice harvesting on Kempenfelt Bay, ca. 1890.
  • ice harvesting 3ice harvesting 3
    Ice harvesting on Kempenfelt Bay, ca. 1890. The Barrie shoreline can be seen in the background.
  • ice harvesting 4ice harvesting 4
    Ice harvesting on Kempenfelt Bay, ca. 1890.
  • Mansion HouseMansion House
    Mansion House, corner of Collier St. and Market Square, pre-1877. The hotel was built in 1874 and later called American Hotel. In 1877 James Curran Morrow died after falling from the 2nd floor door. As he lay dying, he was robbed of his watch and cash.
  • Otton Brothers Furniture and Appliances StoreOtton Brothers Furniture and Appliances Store
    Otton Brothers Furniture and Appliances Store. Opposite the Queen's Hotel, this shop wasn't only a hardware store. They also manufactured tin, sheet iron, and copperware, and did plumbing, gas-fitting, and bell-hanging.
  • ice harvesting 5ice harvesting 5
    Ice harvesting on Kempenfelt Bay, ca. 1890.
  • Glebe BlockGlebe Block
    Part of the Glebe Block on the south side of Dunlop St after 1875. A fire in 1871 destroyed this area. The reconstructed block, seen here, was damaged by another fire in 1875. Repairs are visible on the top floor.
  • M H Spencers Toronto Tea StoreM H Spencers Toronto Tea Store
    M. H. Spencer’s Toronto Tea Store on the southwest corner of Elizabeth Street (Now Dunlop Street West) and John Street (now Maple Street).
  • EL Books H Bennett TailorEL Books H Bennett Tailor
    Edwards and Laird, Books, Stationery, Wallpaper and H. Bennett, tailor, on the southwest corner of Dunlop Street at Five Points before the 1878 installation of gas streetlights.
  • unidentified general store 1unidentified general store 1
    Unidentified general store.
  • unidentified general store 2unidentified general store 2
    Unidentified general store.
  • unidentified millunidentified mill
    Unidentified mill.
  • unidentified mill buildingsunidentified mill buildings
    Unidentified mill buildings.
  • West End T StoreWest End T Store
    West End T Store on the northwest corner of Elizabeth Street (now Dunlop Street West) and Mary Street. The store built on land bought by Charles H. Clark ca. 1873. The west side of the store remained unbricked for some time, possibly in anticipation of an addition.
  • Wilkinson Steam Grist MillWilkinson Steam Grist Mill
    Wilkinson Steam Grist Mill and residence at the bottom of Maple Street (formerly John Street) ca. 1876. For the first forty years Barrie was without a grist mill due to a lack of power. Allan Gunn built this steam mill which was later sold to James Wilkinson.