Code Supporting Hover Over Image Effect
Between 1819 and 1831, settlement of Black people along Wilberforce Street, located along the west side of Concession II in Oro Township, was sponsored by the government of Upper Canada. Over the course of the next 130 years, a community waxed and waned, leaving behind descendants, stories, and the Oro African Methodist Episcopal Church, now a National Historic Site of Canada.
999-39 African Methodist Episcopal Church in Oro Township
This exhibit provides some background on land grants in Simcoe County and then discusses the extent and nature of the settlement along Wilberforce Street.
Upper Canadian Land Grants
Settlers in Upper Canada could petition the Executive Council of the governor to request free grants of land. Once the petition was granted through an order-in-council, the grantee was eligible to receive a location ticket, which located him on a specific lot. Grants were not entirely free, since they were dependent on property improvements, including the construction of a house of adequate size, clearing of a given acreage of land, the clearing of adjacent roads, and the payment of fees. Once these improvements were completed, the Crown issued a patent, or deed, for the property. Most townships in the province were surveyed into 200-acre parcels which were often subdivided into 100-acre lots.
Early Settlement in Simcoe County
Until 1819, there was no European agricultural settlement in Simcoe County, though there were established trading, missionary, and military settlements. The years preceding the War of 1812 had seen the placement of military outposts at Nottawasaga and Penetanguishene to guard against American attack from Lake Huron. In 1808, it was deemed crucial to have a land route to the settlement at Penetanguishene. Samuel Wilmot was explored and surveyed a road from Kempenfelt Bay to Penetanguishene. It is possible that one of the earliest Black settlers in Oro, Daniel Cokely, worked for him on this expedition. Laid out on either side of the Penetanguishene Road survey were two concessions, one of which was bounded by what became Wilberforce Street. The Penetanguishene Road was not built until after the war.
The Wilberforce Street Settlement
Between 1819 and 1831, Black settlement along Wilberforce Street, located along the west side of Concession II in Oro Township, was sponsored by the government of Upper Canada. Among the Black settlers in Oro were veterans of the War of 1812. Though it was not the largest Black settlement in Upper Canada, the Wilberforce Street settlement was the only one that resulted from government planning and encouragement. The Wilberforce Street lots, as well as some in Concessions III to VI, became home to about 60 Black settlers and their families, with a maximum population of approximately 100 people. Settlement occurred in two waves, from 1819-1826 and from 1828-1831.
Belden Atlas map of Oro Township with lots owned or occupied by
Black settlers highlighted
The Wilberforce Street Settlement: First Wave 1819-1826
On April 26th, 1819, the Executive Council, two members of which had been slave-owners themselves, created a policy of settling Black Loyalist veterans and refugees on 100 acre lots in the second concession of Oro Township. On that date, four Orders in Council were passed granting land to Black settlers. It appears that none of these four grantees actually settled on Wilberforce Street.
972-86 Simcoe County Patent Book, page 298 showing Wilberforce Street
Between 1819 and 1826, about 23 Orders in Council were issued. The recipients of these grants were a disparate group, mostly labourers who had emigrated from the United States. Eleven of the men who settled along Wilberforce Street had served in the military during the War of 1812. Of the others, eight were living in Upper Canada during the War. Only 19 actually applied for a location ticket, and only eight of these actually settled their lots. It is unknown where the absentee settlers were, though some may have lived in Toronto or the Niagara region.
In 1825, the regulations pertaining to land distribution were changed, making free grants available only to Loyalists and those with military service. All others had to pay for the rights to settle. In 1827, Peter Robinson (a former slave owner) was appointed Commissioner of Crown Lands, and became responsible for the settlement of Black veterans and Loyalists in Oro Township.The Wilberforce Street Settlement: Second Wave 1828-1831
During this time, repressive laws in Ohio led to an exodus of Black people out of Ohio and into Upper Canada. Many settled in Middlesex County, while others established themselves in other areas of the province. It is believed that some of those who settled in Oro during the second wave were refugees from Ohio who initially located in southwest Upper Canada. Groups of Black refugees petitioned the government to buy or be granted large parcels of land for settlement, but pressure from local white settlers, along with the government’s decision to provide land to Black settlers along Wilberforce Street, and the fact that only individual petitions were permitted led to the rejection of these group petitions.
Under the direction of Commissioner Peter Robinson, land was sold to Black settlers at one shilling per acre. Payment was not required until the patent was issued, after all improvements were complete. In most respects, land distribution to Black settlers remained the same. One crucial difference was that Robinson settled many off of Wilberforce Street, on Concessions III to VI. Thirty-nine orders-in-council were issued by his office.
The Wilberforce Street lots, as well as some in Concessions III to VI, became home to about 60 Black settlers and their families, with a population of approximately 100 people.
The African Methodist Episcopal Church
In 1838, Rev. Ari Raymond, a graduate of Oberlin College and an abolitionist, was sent to minister to the Black population of Oro Township. In 1849, he helped the community to build the African Methodist Episcopal Church near Edgar. The first Black minister was Rev. R.S.W. Sorrick, who served until 1847. After the families moved out of the area, the church fell into a state of disrepair.
It was restored in 1949 on the 100th anniversary of its construction. The church was designated a National Historic Site of Canada
in 2000, and a plaque recognizing this distinction was unveiled in 2003. In 2016, extensive renovations were completed.
2017-129 African Methodist Episcopal Church front, 2000
2017-129 African Methodist Episcopal Church, 2000
The Decline of the Settlement
Many of the Black settlers did not stay long in Oro. The land was frequently of poorer quality than the lots adjacent to the Penetanguishene Road. As members of the second wave were located, earlier settlers were selling their grants and moving to urban areas such as Collingwood, Barrie and Toronto, or hiring themselves out as labourers on nearby farms.
In June of 1831, Oro Township was opened to white settlement, and Black settlers were no longer settled specifically along Wilberforce Street. During that year, 100 white families settled in the township. This influx of settlers drove the value of the land up, and many Black families sold their properties. Also in 1831, Samuel Richardson was sent to assess the state of improvements to Oro Township properties. He found that nineteen lots had either been abandoned or were never occupied, and that of 5,800 acres, only 144 had been cleared.
2016-25 Davy Thompson, brother of James Thompson, born in Oro Township in 1863
Arriving as early as they did, the Black families who settled along Wilberforce Street were among the first permanent agricultural settlers in the area. The very first will probated in Simcoe District, in 1843, was that of George A. Darkman, who was granted Lot 24 Concession II, Oro Township. By 1900, the Wilberforce Street Black settlement had virtually disappeared. The last descendent of the original settlers, James Thompson, left Oro Township in 1949. Descendants of some of the first Black settlers remained in Oro for nearly 130 years, and in other parts of Simcoe County to the present day.
2016-25 S.S. No. 6 Oro (Edgar) school children, 1893
- Brown, A. L. (2004). Black Settlement in Oro Township.[Electronic Image].http://ontarioplaques.com/Plaques_STU/Plaque_Simcoe21.html
- Crawford, T. (Ed.). (1999). The Oro African Church: A history of the African Methodist Episcopal Church, Edgar, Ontario, Canada.
- Oro, Ontario: Township of Oro-Medonte. [Electronic version]. Retrieved January 29, 2008, from http://www.ourroots.ca/e/toc.aspx?id=4340
- Fisher, W. A. (1973). Legend of the drinking gourd. Barrie, Ontario: W. A. and M. W. Fisher.
- French, G. E. (1978). Men of colour: An historical account of the black settlement on Wilberforce Street and in Oro Township, Simcoe County, Ontario, 1819-1949. Stroud, Ont.: Kaste Books
- Hill, D. (1978, August 19). Heritage of overcoming: The 350th anniversary of blacks in Canada. Globe and Mail, p. 10.