Approved by Simcoe County Council in January 2014, Our Community 10-Year Affordable Housing and Homelessness Prevention Strategy outlines steps for the development and implementation of creative solutions for increasing affordable housing for all residents in Simcoe County. Ensuring a range of affordable housing options will ensure greater access to a range of affordable housing options; a commitment has been made to achieving a minimum of 2, 685 new affordable housing units throughout the region by 2024.
Adequate, appropriate and affordable housing for all Simcoe County residents.
To promote, provide and protect a range of housing options throughout the County of Simcoe.
The 10-Year Affordable Housing and Homelessness
Prevention Strategy outlines the strategic opportunities and priority
activities to be implemented by the County of Simcoe and its municipal partners
between January 1, 2014 and January 1, 2024.
The successful implementation of this Strategy will
ensure that the housing and support needs of all residents are met and that the
communities in the County are poised to socially and economically succeed in
- Access to housing options and necessary supports throughout the life cycle.
- Diversity in our housing stock, ensuring variety of tenure, affordability, style, and proximity to amenities.
- Housing as a vehicle for improved health, community vitality, civic engagement, economic prosperity and social sustainability.
- Collaboration amongst levels of government, community partners and systems, recognizing that the need for safe, affordable, healthy housing connects all of our mandates as we strive for people-centered solutions.
- Support for the critical role of the private sector in the creation of housing stock.
- Social sustainability and inclusivity for all local residents, regardless of economics and tremendous population growth.
- Financial stewardship in maintaining existing government-assisted housing, investing in additional affordable housing, and helping people move from homelessness into housing.
Summary of Recommendations
ANNUAL REPORT CARDS
Housing Our Future: 2014 Annual Report
NEW: Housing Our Future: 2015 Report Card
Affordable Housing Innovations Forum (Speakers Content Posted)