The Solid Waste Management Strategy recommended the County begin development of an organics processing facility. This facility could process both green bin and leaf and yard waste materials.
On June 14, 2016, County Council approved the Development Strategy
for the Organics Processing Facility and Materials Management Facility at 2976 Horseshoe Valley Road West, Springwater.
Next steps in project development include:
- studies undertaken this summer to confirm the property's suitability for this infrastructure
- discussion on the procurement of organics processing technology (this will include public consultation)
- submission of Planning applications this fall
• Development Strategy details
• update on the engagement process
Siting work for these facilities has been a comprehensive process which has involved three screening phases. A detailed list of 502 candidate sites were evaluated in the first two screens, the result was a short list of seven sites for the OPF and five for the MMF. As all sites short-listed for the MMF had the potential to co-locate both facilities on a single site, the final evaluation will consider this option.
Consultant Siting Reports
Part 1 – Planning – Siting Methodology and Evaluation Criteria
Part 2 – Long List Evaluation
Part 3 - Short List Evaluation
Revised Siting Criteria Table