Landfills Frequently Asked Questions
The County of Simcoe Waste management facilities accept the following:
- Blue box
- Leaf & Yard Waste
- general household garbage*
County waste disposal facilities #10 Nottawasaga, #11 Oro and #24 North Simcoe accept Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) materials during regular site hours. For more information concerning HHW, please click HERE.
* Please note the Collingwood Landfill does not accept general household garbage.
The County of Simcoe is responsible for 4 active landfill sites and 4 transfer stations in addition to managing numerous closed landfill sites. Please click HERE for the address and directions of the active waste managements facilities in the County of Simcoe. Also to further assist you, the County has available an Interactive Waste Facilities Map to assist in locating the waste management facility nearest you.
For landfill and transfer station hours of operation, please view here.
Waste Facility Trip Tips
- County waste management facilities are generally busiest on Monday and Saturday mornings. To save time, schedule your visit on another day of the week or in the afternoon. You can help shorten the line-ups. Make sure you have a full load of waste materials before visiting a site; full loads mean fewer trips for you and shorter line-ups for everyone
- Check what diversion programs the waste management facility has prior to visiting. Separate materials in your load or, if quantities permit, do separate loads for divertible materials. Divertible materials may qualify for a reduced tipping fee.
- There is a minimum fee for disposal - avoid coming to the waste management facility with only small amounts.
- Enter the scale on a green light, stop at the operator's window and roll down your window to talk to the operator. Declare the type of waste materials are being delivered and the source of the materials. Listen to instructions, if you are not clear on where materials go, ask for clarification. Drive to the designated unloading area(s) for your material type(s), different material types may require re-weighing.
- Material not sorted properly into the designated diversion areas cause your entire load to be charged at the mixed waste rate
- Prior to leaving the site, vehicles must drive over the scale. The computerized weigh scale system calculates waste disposal charges. Payment is due prior to leaving the site
Here are a few ways you can get a blue or grey curbside bin:
- County of Simcoe Customer Service Centre (Administration Centre - 1110 Highway 26, Midhurst, ON, L0L 1X0) $5 each
- Select County Waste Disposal Facilities - Contact Customer Service (1-800-263-3199) $5 each
- Select municipal offices (contact your municipal office for availability)
Yes, when compost is available it is on a first come first served basis. You can get as many loads as you want while quantities are available.