The County of Simcoe is committed to addressing strategies to support coordinated transportation systems throughout Simcoe County so that residents can access health and wellness services, employment, personal appointments, recreation activities, and can participate fully in their communities. The County of Simcoe is working in partnership with community stakeholders, member municipalities, the Cities of Barrie and Orillia, and the North Simcoe Muskoka Local Health Integration Network (NSM LHIN) on a number of important initiatives.
The Transportation Coordinating Council and its two (2) project steering committees are focused on Inter-Facility (non-urgent) and Community Transportation planning. The work of these committees includes:
Inter-Facility (Non-Urgent) Transportation Steering Committee
- Information brochure
- Clinical decision tool
- Standardized policies and procedures
- Environmental scan of practices
- Alliston Stevenson Memorial Hospital
- Collingwood General Marine Hospital
- County of Simcoe Long Term Care
- County of Simcoe Paramedic Services (Chair)
- Georgian Bay General Hospital
- Muskoka Algonquin Healthcare
- Orillia Soldiers Memorial Hospital
- Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre
- Southlake Regional Health Centre
- Waypoint Centre for Mental Health Care
Community Transportation Committee
- Transportation services inventory map
- Community survey research
- Working groups to address key priorities, including: Standardized Protocols; Raising Awareness; and, Sharing of Services
- City of Barrie
- Community Connection 211
- Community Member(s)
- Community Reach
- County of Simcoe (Chair)
- Helping Hands
- Muskoka Seniors
- NSM LHIN
- Red Cross
- RNR Patient Transfer Services Inc.
- Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit
- Sunset Manor
- United Way
- VON Simcoe County
Community Transportation Pilot Grant Program
The County of Simcoe received funding from the Ministry of Transportation's Community Transportation Pilot Grant Program to develop a portal to enhance the co-ordination of transportation services among community transportation providers. The funding will enable the County to partner with community organizations, such as health and community agencies, and with the North Simcoe Muskoka Local Health Integration Network (NSM LHIN), to co-ordinate the development of an online portal that provides community-based transportation service providers with a web-based booking system to identify transportation opportunities between agencies.
Download the Community Transportation Link (CT Link) bulletin to learn more about the transportation portal.
There are a number of transit linkages across Simcoe County in which the County of Simcoe has been a partner, including:
- Collingwood – Wasaga Beach
- Barrie – Angus – Borden
- Midland – Penetanguishene
The County of Simcoe will continue to work closely with partnering Towns, Townships and Cities to explore opportunities for further transportation linkages.
Transportation Master Plan
The County of Simcoe’s Planning Department is currently engaged in an update of the County Transportation Master Plan. The first round of public consultation took place in the spring of 2013, and many participants commented on the need for increased transit availability between communities. The study terms of reference include an inventory of existing transit systems and identification of low cost opportunities for increased inter-municipal transit. Further information will be reported to Council as the study progresses.
Resources and Links
For more information about local transportation partnerships, contact:
Program Supervisor, Community Programs