Downed Power Lines
If you notice a fallen power line:
- Always stay away from a downed power line
- Treat all lines as a danger but only call 9-1-1 if it is a life-threatening situation i.e: the power line has fallen on an individual or car.
- Keep back a minimum of 10 metres (33 feet) from wires or anything in contact with them and warn others of the danger.
- Always assume that the lines are live (this means they have electricity running through them, therefore they are extremely dangerous). It is difficult to distinguish between power lines and other utility lines (e.g. telephone or cable lines) and they also carry sufficient power to cause harm.
If you notice someone is in contact with a fallen power line:
- Stay clear of the area
- Do not try to free someone in contact with a line; call 9-1-1 instead.
- Avoid anything that is, or may be, in contact with the line, such as a tree or fence.
- If a power line falls on the vehicle you are in, stay inside until help comes and advises you it is safe to get out. The tires of the vehicle will allow a pathway for the electricity to travel therefore you will be safe until an emergency crew arrives to help.
Documents are available in alternative formats upon request