The year 2008 marked the 150th Anniversary, or Sesquicentennial, of the incorporation of the Town of Collingwood on January 1, 1858. Known previously as Hurontario Mills, and as Hens and Chickens Harbour (after the one large and four small islands in the Bay), it was renamed in 1854 in honour of Admiral Lord Collingwood, a distinguished British naval officer, and a hero at the Battle of Trafalgar.
Originally a milling centre for the sparsely populated farming communities in the area, Collingwood’s role as a centre of shipping and commerce was established with the arrival of the Ontario, Simcoe and Huron (later Northern) Railway in 1855.
In celebration of Collingwood’s first 150 years, we are pleased to present a small selection of photographs of historic Collingwood from the collection of the Simcoe County Archives.
Click a thumbnail to open a larger version. Moving the mouse over the enlarged image will reveal the previous and next buttons.
Images: 1-10 of 21