Our Custodian Corner features custodians who have discovered unique ways to solve common problems that many of our schools are facing with respect to school recycling and organics. The Custodian's Corner acts as a resource page to share strategies and find useful information with respect to school recycling and organics.
LeCaron Ecole Secondaire
- Luke uses one bin with 2 different bags split down the middle with clips. Clear plastic side is for collecting containers/blue box items and the garbage bag side is for garbage.
Connaught Public School Collingwood
- Sandy collects paper towel waste from staff washrooms and incorporates the material into the bottom of green bins to absorb moisture and reduce messes.
- switched from stacked paper towels to a roll as you go through significantly less.
- has also made rags available to staff and students for cleaning up spills or messes (rather than paper towels). The school has a washer so they can wash and re-use rags over and over. These practices not only reduce waste but costs as well.
- Rick monitors the daily waste depot to assist students with consolidation of materials and offers assistance to the younger grades who need help.
- Ron had the green team put together chains of rubber bands to fit around the tops of the mini green bins to keep the bags from falling down. We have actually discovered a specific rubber band (#24-rubber bands, latex free) you can order from Staples which fits perfectly around the mini bin or you can also use clips.
Do you think your Custodian is doing something unique to make your program a success, let us know at email@example.com