The County of Simcoe adopted a Solid Waste Management Strategy in 2010 that provides the framework for the County's waste disposal options and diversion programs. Guided by the Strategy, and following further recommendations from Council, the County initiated a siting process in 2014 to identify a site for the development of an Organics Processing Facility (OPF) for the long-term processing of source-separated organics (SSO). The siting process was subsequently expanded to also identify a site for the development of a Materials Management Facility (MMF) for the transfer of garbage, recyclables, and SSO. Collectively, these facilities are referred to as the Environmental Resource Recovery Centre (ERRC).
Following an extensive site evaluation process, which considered 502 candidate sites, County Council selected the property located at 2976 Horseshoe Valley Road in the Township of Springwater within Lot 2, Concession 1, as the preferred site. The subject lands are approximately 84 hectares (207.6 acres) in size and the approximate footprint of the ERRC is estimated at 4.5 hectares (11.12acres).
The County is proposing to amend its Official Plan to facilitate the development of the ERRC. Other related planning applications (Official Plan Amendment & Zoning Bylaw Amendment) have also been submitted to the Township of Springwater and are currently subject to the Township's planning review process. More specific information on the proposed planning amendments can be found in the Planning Justification Report listed below.
The following plans, reports and studies - as outlined in a cover letter prepared by GHD for the County of Simcoe - have been prepared in support of the applications:
- Locational Plan prepared by GHD Limited dated November 17, 2016
- Conceptual Site Plan Figure 3.1 prepared by GHD Limited dated November 15, 2016;
- Planning Justification Report prepared by GHD Limited dated November 17, 2016;
- Scoped Environmental Impact Study prepared by GHD Limited dated November 17, 2016 (includes Hazard Lands Assessment);
- Agricultural Impact Assessment Report for the Proposed Environmental Resource Recovery Centre (ERRC) prepared by AgPlan Limited dated November 16, 2016;
- Facility Characteristics Report prepared by GHD Limited dated November 17, 2016 (includes Stormwater Management, Noise & Odour, Functional Servicing components);
- Cultural Heritage Resource Assessment: Built Heritage Resources and Cultural Heritage Landscapes, Existing Conditions – Impact Assessment prepared by ASI Archaeological & Cultural Heritage Services dated August 2016 (Revised November 2016);
- Stage 1 & 2 Archaeological Assessment Simcoe Environmental Resource Recovery Centre prepared by ASI Archaeological & Cultural Heritage Services dated November 16, 2016;
- Stage 3 Site Specific Assessment Simcoe Environmental Resource Recovery Centre Gribbin Site (BdGw-49) ORIGINAL REPORT prepared by ASI Archaeological & Cultural Heritage Services dated November 11, 2016;
- Stage 3 Site Specific Assessment Simcoe Environmental Resource Recovery Centre Gribbin Site (BdGw-49) SUPPLEMENTARY DOCUMENTATION prepared by ASI Archaeological & Cultural Heritage Services dated November 11, 2016;
- Traffic Impact Study prepared by MMM Group dated November 2016;
- Hydrogeological Assessment Environmental Resource Recovery Centre (ERRC) prepared by GHD Limited dated November 15, 2016;
- Summary of Consultation and Notification (to December 2016).
- Buffer Distances (100m intervals)
- Draft Official Plan Amendment
In accordance with Section 17(15) of the Planning Act, the County will circulate relevant information to prescribed public bodies, government ministries, regulatory authorities and Aboriginal communities, for their review and comment.
The County of Simcoe held the statutory public meeting on May 9, 2017. A transcript of the meeting will be posted here shortly. Comments received from members of the public and agencies to date are posted below. Further public and agency comments will be added from time to time.
Public Comments 1
Public Comments 2
Public Comments 3
Questions regarding the applications and/or the forthcoming Planning process can be e-mailed directly to the County's Planning Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or by contacting Customer Service at (705) 735-6901.