IMPORTANT: Never cross a flooded area
To reduce the likelihood of flood damage:
During a Flood
- Put weather protection sealant around basement windows and the base of ground level doors
- Install downspout drainage at a sufficient distance away from your residence to ensure that water moves away from the building
- Consider installing a sump pump and zero reverse flow valves in basement floor drains
- Shut off the electricity
- If the area around the fuse box or circuit breaker is wet, stand on a dry board and shut off the power with a dry wooden stick
- Try to move furniture, electrical appliances and other belongings to floors above ground level
- Disconnect eavestroughs if they are connected to the house sewer
- FLOOD ADVISORY: notifies that the potential for flooding exists within specific watercourses and municipalities.
- FLOOD WARNING: notifies that flooding is imminent or occurring within specific watercourses and municipalities.
- FLOOD SAFETY BULLETIN: notifies that unsafe lake, river and channel conditions exist.
- WATERSHED CONDITIONS BULLETINS: notifies of anticipated watershed conditions