DIVERSITY - The presence of a wide range of human qualities and attributes within a group, organization, or society. The dimensions of diversity include, but are not limited to: ancestry, culture, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, language, physical and intellectual ability, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and socio-economic status.
Source: Ministry of Education (2009). Realizing the promise of
diversity: Ontario's equity and inclusive education strategy.
Retrieved May 5, 2017 from
Multiculturalism is about understanding each other and moving beyond simple tolerance to embracing and celebrating the rich dimensions of diversity contained in each individual.
* Source: University of Oregon. (n.d.). Definition of diversity. Retrieved May 5, 2017 from http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~asuomca/diversityinit/definition.html
How to take safe and purposeful action
Diversity is more than just acknowledging and/or tolerating difference. Here is a conscious list of practices that one can take to value diversity:
- Understand and appreciate the interdependence of humanity, cultures, and the natural environment.
- Practice mutual respect for qualities and experiences that are different from our own.
- Understand that diversity includes not only ways of being but also ways of knowing.
- Recognize that personal, cultural and institutionalized discrimination creates and sustains privileges for some while creating and sustaining disadvantages for others.
- Build alliances across differences so that we can work together to eradicate all forms of discrimination.
Source: Queensborough Community College (2016). Definition of diversity. Retrieved May 5, 2017 from http://www.qcc.cuny.edu/diversity/definition.html
Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion: http://ccdi.ca/
Diversity in the Workplace: http://ccdi.ca/
Toolkit that supports an organizations ability to engage and retain diverse teams: http://hrcouncil.ca/hr-toolkit/diversity-supportive-environment.cfm
Help children explore issues and concepts of diversity: http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/HealthTopicDetailsKids.aspx?p=335&np=286&id=2345